surprising visit

I posted the pix, they came up on this thread Surprise Visit, but not in the place where all the threads are listed. I'm not to good at this stuff. LOL Give me a hammer and a circular saw.

Those pens look good. Thank you for sharing. I have some other questions. Can geese eat the same scratch as chickens? The scratch I use is the five seed not just cracked corn only. The other question is do you think these geese will tame so I can pet them?

Geese can be tamed pretty quickly with food. Try petting them while they are eating, just gently stroke their back. They don't like it if you touch their head or neck.

I don't feed scratch but I think it should be fine.

And they may never like to be touched, most of us enjoy a hands off relationship with our geese. About the only time I handle mine is to check bottom of feet for bumble, geese aren't real fond of being touched except when goslings.

Thank you. I just really don't want them to fear me. Which I guess for the most part they don't because they trusted me enough to bring them into the backyard, and by that I mean the smaller fenced off area behind our house. I do foresee me bringing them in the house for movies and popcorn. Lol

Thank you. I just really don't want them to fear me. Which I guess for the most part they don't because they trusted me enough to bring them into the backyard, and by that I mean the smaller fenced off area behind our house. I do foresee me bringing them in the house for movies and popcorn. Lol
lol.png
I think they trust you alot. They have found a wonderful home.

isn't @72elizabeth coops really nice. she has done a great job.

Those pens look good. Thank you for sharing. I have some other questions. Can geese eat the same scratch as chickens? The scratch I use is the five seed not just cracked corn only. The other question is do you think these geese will tame so I can pet them?

Hi Chick-a-dow-dee. I've finally switched my Guineas over to Purina Flock Raiser. They were on the Layena. Now both geese and guineas are on the same feed. The only time I use scratch is for a treat, when it's time to put them in their coop for the night. They see me coming with the scratch and they can't get into their coop fast enough. I only give them a little in the summer, 'cause it tends to keep them warm. In the winter, they get a bit more. I don't think scratch has the ingredients that's needed for a healthy diet. Purina Flock Raiser has all the vitamins that are needed.
Also, I forgot to add to the coop picture, that I had put wire mesh around the perimeter of the guinea coop. One foot inside the coop and two foot out side the coop. This will stop any critters from digging under. I also electrified the bottom of the coop. I just attached it to the hot wire on the horses fencing. Nothing ever comes on this property, so I didn't do it with the geese, but if you have predators, a couple strands of hot wire will keep them away. Have fun building your coop!!! So nice of you to take in those geese, they are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom