Survey! What is your preference for sealing the inside of henhouse?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cheepsforkeeps, Jun 2, 2010.

1. cheepsforkeeps

cheepsforkeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    [​IMG] We are trying to decide what what to seal our plywood on the inside of henhouse with? Curious what others have used or if you seal at all? Seem's the wood wouldn't last as long after cleanings with water etc. Also concerned about toxic products. Let us know your thoughts!

2. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Putting a protective coating on the wood will make it last longer and make it significantly easier to clean. Poo has a tendency to stick REALLY HARD to bare wood and will require scraping, yet will wipe away with spritzed water if the surface is painted.

I painted the plywood interior on my coop. Two coats of oil-based primer and 3 coats of exterior semi-gloss. Walls and floor. If you prefer the natural wood look, I recommend linseed oil mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. The oil will give is some waterproofing while the spirits will help it absorb into the wood. It's probably a little high on the toxic level, but would be dry and odor free within a day or so.

3. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Primed and painted exterior white semi-gloss. Brightens things up a bit.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by