Survived Irene and still got 6 eggs!!

04SportsterChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Maryland
Well over the weekend we were hit with hurricane Irene. I worried about my hens and pestered my DH with questions about how strong the coop he built was. So Sat morning the rain started. The hens stayed out in their run and when it got a little heavy went under the coop for protection. As the day went on the wind picked up a little. They had no problem or so it seemed. Our yard is full of very very tall trees and the hens are right under 2 huge oak trees. So by dark they went inside. I thought about closing their window and door but then I thought if something happened I would want them to be able to get out. By midnight the trees were cracking and bending it scared us inside. Our nighbor lost a tree in there yard that if it had fallen the opposite direction it would have been in my bedroom!!! So Sun it was still breezy and spitting rain for a little while. The girls were out when I got up and we got all 6 eggs. I was so happy I guess Irene didn't bother them that much!! Oh and DH was saying how he built the coop that withstood Irene LOL. Now 4 days later and about $100 worth of gas for the generator I would love to get my power back!!!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
roll.png

I swear sometimes the bad weather scare eggs out of 'em. We get our best numbers right after bad storms without fail :p

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Our hens didn't miss a beat through the storm. In fact, they were mostly just irritated they couldn't go out and free range. But I swear Irene scared my little 2 month Silkie, baby Ann, into crowing
lau.gif
poor guy!

I hope you get your power back soon!

Back
Top Bottom