Survived Racoon Attack only to be shunned by the rest of the flock!!

NacientNeedle

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
One of my hens did not coop-up one night and was attacked by a raccoon who gave her a nasty cut at her cone and did some minor damage to one eye. She got away and we came running to chase away the midnight murderer. She was in shock and I put her by herself to recover and gave her tlc to see if she would recover - after about 4 days she started eating and laying eggs again and seems much better now, but the other hens will not let her join them - they race over and attack her. So, she continues to stay in the "hospital canopy" in a plastic tub at night and I let her have free run of the back yard so she is not in the run with the others. Has anyone every had this happen? Will the other hens eventually let her back into the fold? Once fall/winter comes she has to go back into the coop & run with the others. Don't want to cull - she is a good layer and seems almost 100% fine now - but very afraid of the other hens.

You are basically dealing with an integration of one bird into the flock....
.....they don't 'remember' her, so she's an intruder threatening the territory and resources(food/water) of the flock.

Keep her separated by wire, but in sight, from the flock for a while, a wire dog crate in the coop would be best.
Then try letting them together again, free ranging if you do that.

Ahh - thank you Heritage and Juggler for suggested to keep them within sight of each other, but separated by wire - so obviously the answer!! I was giving them short periods of integration in the mornings and the evenings, and monitoring the progress - which was not so good. But I sort of knew without quite realizing it that they just needed to see more of her and would gradually accept her again. If I let her free range in the back yard she will stay far away from them, so I will corral her close to the run during the day so they can be together!! I am sure this will work!! Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom