Surviving twin

Elaineada7

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2023
Hi all, chick and duck mom here, grew up with primarily chickens, started our own flock a year ago. long story short, I had an egg that was dancing but I thought had gotten “scrambled” by 2 chicks that hatched 4 days ago rocking it all over before we got up that morning. Then it pipped 2 days ago and opened a hole in kinda an odd spot, but figured it was from being rolled around so much. Fast forward, no progress in 24 hours, I used a dropper to give her some nutri-drench to help her through but not interfere. Until 48 hours without progress, then helped crack the shell but let her bust out of the membrane. Found out she was the (much) smaller of twins, looks like the bigger one was the one that had been dancing and didn’t make it through the rolling around. And that’s why this little fighter couldn’t break out, pushing with her legs just pushed the twin and not the egg shell. Oh, and the egg originally started out being mostly frozen before we found it (mom’s playing hide and seek) and put it in the incubator not figuring it would develop but giving it a shot anyways.

So now I have this scrawny little leghorn/RI Red mix that’s one hell of a fighter and overcome so much already, and we’re wondering what we can do to help her have the best possible chance in life. Anything more/better than nutri-drench until she can manage mash and water on her own? Anything specific to twins I should be watching for? All the posts I’m finding are non-surviving twins, so just looking for any advice or thoughts on navigating this.

(Also, water in the incubator is what our house has for water, we’re changing and cleaning it weekly, but wicked high iron content just causes nasty looking red/brown water here)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DA64CF35-2589-4910-B294-8E84A5B4948D.jpeg
    DA64CF35-2589-4910-B294-8E84A5B4948D.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 34
Welcome to BYC! That's amazing she made it so far. She's probably just underdeveloped and malnourished a little. I would keep doing drops of Nutridrench if she'll take them, but don't let her get sticky or wet.
Is she fluffed up now? Peeping at all?
I'd also recommend using bottled water in your incubators instead of the tap water. It'll be much better for the incubator.

It's amazing that both chicks were fully developed and one was able to hatch. Has she started perking up by now?
She’s been fairly perky the entire time, she is one heck of a fighter. Lol. And yea, surprised the crud out of me, this mama hadn’t ever thrown a double yolk before, that thought didn’t cross my mind to watch for with her. The other twin was totally the dominant one, full size, all her feathers, taking up 3/4 of the egg. This peanut likely would have perished if that one had hatched out on time, but the extra time gave her just enough apparently. She’s soooo incredibly scrawny. Scooted right through the small 1” chicken wire I was using to keep her separate from the other recent hatchlings.

Welcome to BYC! That's amazing she made it so far. She's probably just underdeveloped and malnourished a little. I would keep doing drops of Nutridrench if she'll take them, but don't let her get sticky or wet.
Is she fluffed up now? Peeping at all?
I'd also recommend using bottled water in your incubators instead of the tap water. It'll be much better for the incubator.
Thank you!! Yea, we are amazed by her for sure. Definitely underdeveloped, size-wise. But all her parts and bits and pieces are there and functioning. A bit of a raw/unhealed naval and not enough fluff/hair, but that’s all I see so far. She’s pooped on me 3 times, she stands on her scrawny legs and topples around like a usual hatchling, she’s just beyond small. Fluffed up with what she has, which isn’t much, so she’s scraggly also. Peeping? She hasn’t dang stopped yelling unless she’s in the brooder sleeping under the 102 degree section. LOL. Her lungs and vocal cords are most definitely fully formed. we’re doing our best to keep her dry, but having to use the dropper every 2 hours for nutridrench, and trying to show her how to drink, means her front is a little slicked down. Her back end, I did do a warm bath for the naval, so she got wet again, but seems to tolerate it and the drying off okay. If she can learn to eat and drink on her own, I’m cautiously optimistic at this point, we’re 12 hours into the first 72, and sounds like it’s really just the usual stuff to watch for and do, thank you, I appreciate the questions, comments and info, feels like we’re less alone figuring it out.

I’m hoping this is our only brooding via incubator time, so I wasn’t too worried about the water, but if we do it again, we’ll get some better water for it.

Attachments

• BF9FE03A-93FE-4E60-9EA9-10CEE12B9400.jpeg
    BF9FE03A-93FE-4E60-9EA9-10CEE12B9400.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 35
Hi there!
This is such a cool story, I'm not used to hearing stories about double yolk eggs hatching! Just to clarify - the second twin did not make it? Just the first twin?

Back
Top Bottom