suspect broken back

katie5668

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
Pueblo, CO.
I have a young rooster that has grown too heavy for my ladies. He is rough and just jumps on when mounting. A Buff Orphington ..I also have a Buffy hen that he has injured.
she can stand and walk a few steps,,but that is about it. I have put her in a large pen where she can see the other chickens and has food and water. At nite she wants to be in the coop with them and I will probably put her in there in a kennel . The minute that Rooster sees her he is attempting to mount. So I am thinking he needs to be Sunday dinner. But after all that what I am asking is...can she heal ..will she get better or would it be the kindest thing to go ahead and put her down ? She does eat and drink..can move enough to not be laying in her waste, Anyone else deal with this, anything else I can do? Any wisdom would be appreciated.

If she is eating, drinking and able to move - I would give her a chance to recover. Check her sides just anterior to her legs to make sure she has not been gashed. It sounds as if it is time for a lighter breed rooster.

Back
Top Bottom