suspect broken back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katie5668, Aug 20, 2016.

1. katie5668

katie5668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2014
    Pueblo, CO.
    I have a young rooster that has grown too heavy for my ladies. He is rough and just jumps on when mounting. A Buff Orphington ..I also have a Buffy hen that he has injured.
    she can stand and walk a few steps,,but that is about it. I have put her in a large pen where she can see the other chickens and has food and water. At nite she wants to be in the coop with them and I will probably put her in there in a kennel . The minute that Rooster sees her he is attempting to mount. So I am thinking he needs to be Sunday dinner. But after all that what I am asking is...can she heal ..will she get better or would it be the kindest thing to go ahead and put her down ? She does eat and drink..can move enough to not be laying in her waste, Anyone else deal with this, anything else I can do? Any wisdom would be appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she is eating, drinking and able to move - I would give her a chance to recover. Check her sides just anterior to her legs to make sure she has not been gashed. It sounds as if it is time for a lighter breed rooster.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How is she doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by