Suspect Roundworm and Gapeworm-which to treat first?

Hockeychick

Songster
10 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Warren County, NJ
Hello, I have 41 hens who are nearly 8 months old. Their coop is lined with pine bedding, and their run was sand, but we have had some heavy rains so the run is wet and mucky. They were free ranging nights and weekends, but it is dark when we get home from work and there was a recent fox attack, so they haven't gotten out a whole lot this month. For the past month they have been eating Purina Layena Crumbles, and have free choice oyster shell. I also put Apple Cider Vinegar in their water. I have never wormed them, but figured it is time to start with Wazine. and in the past two weeks they have been eating a ton of food. We have our first broody hen, so I brought her inside this evening to watch her and feed her, and she pooped a fairly lively worm that was about three inches. She pooped a few more times, and each time there was a worm, or worms, but they all looked dead. It definitely looked like a roundworm. Tomorrow I am going to a farm about an hour away to get several bags of their organic chicken feed, and Wazine. After 2 weeks I would give them Safe Guard (Fenbendazole) . I undersand that the wazine gets rid of the roundworm, and safeguard takes care of other worms. In reading through the threads I realized that I may also be dealing with gapeworm. There are a few who shake their heads, and yawn/cough, have wet nostrils. I see this primarily in my Jersey Giants, and when they sneeze, it's LOUD. It almost sounds like a bark.

I am going to the vet tomorrow morning with 3 guinea pigs. My vet is awesome with most animals, but I think she is afraid of the chickens, so i can't bring them. She has no problem with their fecal samples, so in a few days I should know exactly what worms I am dealing with. I don't know if gapeworm would show up in their poop, since it lives in the trachea. Not all birds seem sick. I have an Egger, Ginger, who spends a lot of time in the house. Her poop looks solid and I don't see any evidence of worms. I know there could certainly be larvae, but she is a plump bird and looks/acts very healthy, except she too has a wet nose.

So....do I proceed with Wazine and treat roundworms first, gapeworm later? Or is the gapeworm the bigger concern? Wazine followed by Safeguard, or maybe start with Safeguard, and follow up with Ivermectin?

We looked down the throat of a giant who is know to sneeze and cough, as well as a red star who feels thin, and their throats look healthy. Everything was light pink in color, no visible irritation. I don't see any worms in their poop either. I have 4 samples from 4 different birds to bring to the vet tomorrow. I am curious as to what she will say.

To check for gapeworm, take a Q-tip and gently stick it 1 inch down the throat, gently swab and pull it out. If you see a red in color "Y" shaped worm on it, it's gapeworm. If this is your first time worming, I recommend wazine first. You have alot of chickens to worm. As a second wormer I recommend safeguard 10% suspension goat wormer which TSC should carry. Dosage is 3cc per gallon of water for 2 days. It'll also kill gapeworm. You've already seen the roundworms but not the gapeworms...get the roundworms first, it's a sure thing. Good luck.

Thanks dawg53. I just got off the phone with the vet and only the Orpington had roundworm in her poop, the other 2 were negative. She had 11-50 eggs per slide, and the vet said that is moderate. I started them on Wazine yesterday, and last night I saw a few droppings with worms. yuck!

Back
Top Bottom