Suspected internal layer? Enlarged abdomenal area, 1yo BO

Oh god, how long has she been seriously ill? Please tell me this hasn't been going on since April! I can't take it if this lasts for months. I know mine hasn't laid in a long time- The better part of two months, but it was only Sunday that she was suddenly decidedly "not ok," and only the end of last week that it appeared anything at all was wrong.

I agree- that's why I haven't moved her. I don't really have a place to put her, but I figured if she has to feel miserable, at least she's home where she's familiar with her surroundings, right?

You can try some heavy penicillin in case you caught it early enough; I've had one hen who made two comebacks when we did that, started laying again each time, but now, she is in relapse and we drained about 250 cc of fluid off her, which took pressure off her organs, but won't save her. It's chronic and there is no cure. Calcium won't do a thing for this--it's not that type of issue. It's hormonal/genetic.

I suggest you read up on threads about my hen Ivy. I also have an Olivia dying of the same thing. Have already lost six to this ailment. Another hen, Ginger, had a full abdomen a year ago, we did penicillin and it seemed to fix her, but she has not laid an egg in over a year and now, her abdomen is feeling full again.

Thanks for the input, SpeckledHen. So your thought is that an antibiotic could treat the infection and she might get better, but she'll most likely continue to lay internally and it's pretty certain to come back? I don't think I want to keep putting her through this. If it was a permanent solution, I'd treat her, but I don't want to just prolong the inevitable, or make either of us go through this again. I'm not concerned about the egg production, and if she could live out her life not laying but healthy I'd certainly let her, but if she's going to continue to lay internally, get infections and go through this, I think it would be kinder to just let her go.

You got it right. If it happens once, it will happen again. There is no prevention and no cure other than a complete hysterectomy, but even then, the gunk is all through her organs and if it's not all out, it won't do any good to spend big bucks for a hysterectomy on a hen.

Great input - Speckledhen-

Mine has shown distress signs for a week only. Maybe longer if you count "just not being herself". But I agree. The waiting is horrible! It helps me to know I am not the only one going through this right now. So I appreciate your letting me cling to your thread.

M

Quote:
Here is the article I was reading that lead me to think she may be egg bound. According to the article the symptoms mimic those of egg binding.

Egg Yolk Peritonitis
Breeding Challenges ... Bird Health Care

Egg yolk peritonitis (the presence of yolk material in the coelomic cavity) is a common cause of abdominal distension in birds. Yolk material by itself induces a mild inflammatory response and may be reabsorbed by the peritoneum. Because yolk is an excellent growth medium for bacteria, peritonitis may result from secondary bacterial infection. Localized to diffuse fibrinous peritonitis may result, and may lead to secondary ascites and organ inflammation or compromise in chronic cases.

Egg peritonitis is characterized by fibrin or albumen-like material with a cooked appearance among the abdominal viscera. It is a common cause of sporadic deaths, but in some flocks may become the major cause of death and give the appearance of a contagious disease. It is diagnosed at necropsy.

Lodgment of eggs in the oviduct was probably due to reverse peristalsis brought about by breakage of the thin-shelled eggs and secondary bacterial infection. Peritonitis follows reverse movement of albumen and Escherichia coli bacteria from the oviduct into the abdomen. If the incidence is high, culture should be done to differentiate between Pasteurella (fowl cholera) or Salmonella infection.

When hens have too many large ovarian follicles, a problem described as erratic oviposition and defective egg syndrome (EODES) is seen in broiler breeders.

This condition is accompanied by a high incidence of double-yolked eggs, prolapses of the oviduct, internal ovulation, and/or internal laying that often results in egg peritonitis and mortality. EODES is prevented by avoiding light stimulation of underweight pullets too early and following body weight and lighting recommendations for each breeder strain. Overweight hens may also have a higher incidence of erratic ovulations and mortality associated with egg peritonitis.

Clinical Signs:
Sudden death, loss of appetite/anorexia, weakness, depression, respiratory distress, lethargy, fluffed feathers, lack of vocalizations, yolk-colored droppings, swollen vent and/or abdomen (the swelling feels spongy to the touch), and ascites. Some of these symptoms also mimic egg binding. Ascites is most commonly seen in cockatiels and waterfowl.

Nesting behavior or recent egg laying is commonly reported at presentation. Abdominal wall herniation may be a complication in cases of extreme abdominal distension secondary to increased coelomic pressure. Although ascites is not present in all birds with egg yolk peritonitis, fluid evaluation may be diagnostic when ascites is a presenting clinical sign. Grossly, the fluid is slightly yellow to yellow, with possible visualization visualization of yolk material and protein strands. The fluid may appear noninflammatory (as in this case) or inflammatory, with or without sepsis. Typical findings would be only yolk or fat globules in the former case and a mixture of heterophils, macrophages, lymphocytes, fat globules, and yolk globules with or without bacteria in the latter case.

Any ascitic fluid from a bird should be cultured, especially in cases of egg yolk peritonitis. Coliform bacteria have been the most common isolates in egg yolk peritonitis. (Sources: Abdominal Effusion in a Bird, Merck Vet Manual, Ruptured-yolk peritonitis and organochlorine residues in a royal tern.)

How are things in your coop today, Misti? I had some luck last night getting her to eat- a few bites of yogurt, some grapes, and even some cooked hamburger. She had a little bit of vigor, but still isn't standing for more than a moment or two. This morning she ate a few grapes I cut up but didn't have any interest in the yogurt.

This is the craziest illness ever, if you ask me. Piglet was up last night, too. Like I said earlier, I hate to go check the coop afraid of what I will find. But through my kitchen window, I could see her up and about. Another chicken was pecking at her chest (she has a bald spot there). I am not sure why they do that. Anyway, I sent my oldest son to break that up. And Piglet actually, tried to get away from him.

I fed her an egg outside the coop while the others freaked out wanting to join her.
lol.png
Her bum is still a mess, and I probably should clean it up but I don't know if it is worth it. (is that bad) I have 6 children and a house that never seems to look presentable. so my piglet is just one more thing. I am sure I will eventually break down and clean her again.

Glad to hear your girl is feeling better. This may drag out through the summer!

Thanks for asking.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom