Suspected vent gleet - new one for me

Sammi_0411

Crowing
Jun 20, 2020
England UK
Hey so my white silkie has got a thick ish white discharge leaking from her vent not totally foul smelling but nt great smell. She is also missing feathers around her vent area which I think may be caused from pecking of her flock. She's nt looking ill she's eating and drinking well. This is a new one for me the thing is there's so many diff info how to treat just want to see what's best ..... vet treatment isn't a option unfortunately. So these things I've seen to help
bath of epsom salts for 10.mins
Natural yoghurt
Prebiotic
ACV which I already use in water one week a month
Canesten thrush cream as well as washing her vent area twice a day.

Any knowledge would be very much appreciated it's late here and they have settled for the nite she also won't let me near her at mo.... so will get u a pic in the morning. She has been laying but I have been getting a silkie egg smeared in blood last 3 days in a row with work haven't identified which of the 3 silkies it is am home 2mz so will keep look out. She is around 18 months old any more info u need just ask

Thank u
XxSamXx

Last edited:
Its just so much advice on other sites etc just want to make sure treat correctly I will get u a pic in morning. @Tookie had helped a lot also :) this is a first for me which doesn't happen these days when it concerns me and chickens lol thanks xxx

Its just so much advice on other sites etc just want to make sure treat correctly I will get u a pic in morning. @Tookie had helped a lot also :) this is a first for me which doesn't happen these days when it concerns me and chickens lol thanks xxx
I get it! I had one this spring with prolapsed vent AND vent gleet. I learned so much from that experience. @Wyorp Rock

I get it! I had one this spring with prolapsed vent AND vent gleet. I learned so much from that experience. @Wyorp Rock

Pics might help, but if you're sure it's gleet, yeast infection cream (like in the feminine products aisle) will help. Half an inch of squeezed out meds directly into her beak 2x/3x a day for at least a week. I always also apply it to her vent, too.

No need to separate unless youre6sure she's getting pecked. Sometimes with gleet, their bums do end up losing feathers.

Back
Top Bottom