Sussex and Australorp any hands on knowledge?

Lookingforinfo

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
I am looking at raising sussex and australorp chickens in the near future and I was wondering if anyone has experience with these two breeds. I will be living in a temperate climate with cold winters. I need to make sure they will not only do well together, but also be ok with the other animals and children on my farm, I do have have a very large run for them. Is their egg production truly as wonderful as 260 per year? Any first hand knowledge of these types of birds would be great. Thank you!
smile.png

HI and
welcome-byc.gif

my first chicks were Australorps. They are gentle and very hardy. I live in upstate NY and they survive the winters well here. They're nice and solid bird, compact and well feathered.
. we also had 90 degree summer with high humidity and they survived that also.
None of my other hens are as good broodys as the BA. They are the only ones of my hens (mixed) EE's , Redstars, Silver Wyandottes who have sucessfully brooded chicks. we can always pick up my oldest Camilla 3yrs, and cuddle her. She is not aggressive to anyone but she is not so submissive she doesn't stand up for herself either. We have cats, dogs and kids around and my chickens have learned to ignore the dogs, chase the cats if they get too annoying (the kittens stalk them), they are freindly to humans as they know treats come from people. My hens free range and so far the Redstars and Australorps have survived without problems. although Camilla was grabbed by hawk one day and came wandering back an hour later, dazed. Apparently she was too fat and heavy for it to carry her very far. She had cuts and we made her a house chicken for a bit while she healed. As far as Sussex I don't know how they are. I would like to try them also. Good luck:thumbsup

I have had both. The Australorps were like puppies. Laid eggs VERY well.

The Sussex did not have the best laying abilities, but the temperaments and attitudes are the absolute best. SO fun to watch and one of the only breeds that wants to be held in my flock.

Have both breeds and both are great! Survived Kansas summer this year with temps of 100. The Sussex are the most friendly and will get up on my arm when I pat it and say "up". Astros like to be petted, but not held. Good egg production from both. When I get more chicks this spring (currently have 7 different breeds) I am going with just the Sussex.

We have Light Sussex and Speckled Sussex, so far the LS are the better layers of the two and quite a bit larger. Both are calm natured and easy going. Heat is more of an issue with our birds here in NC and I did notice this year that the LS were less active in the heat of the summer than the SS. The SS might be a better choice for cold weather bird?

Steve

Thanks for the replies everybody!! The information has been VERY helpful, Australorps and Sussex seem to be exactly the breeds I am looking for!
big_smile.png
adkchickmama, the qualities you described seem perfect, thanks a lot for the info!

Quick question though, how are the roosters, are they mean? My roosters (another breed) a few years back would chase you around the yard if given the chance.....that is certainly not something I want to take on again.
smile.png

M.

Last edited:
Australorps are probably one of the best dual purpose birds you could ever buy, and they are GREAT for egg production. Im not sure about sussex though, but ive heard good things about them.

Back
Top Bottom