Sussex (middle size) not molding in first year?

Arne

Chirping
Jun 4, 2020
Hello people.

Have a question about molting. We have 5 hens. 3 Wyandotte (2.5 years old) and 2 Sussex hens. (1 year old)

The 3 Wyandotte all went through the molting period early winter and are beautiful chickens.

But both the Sussex hens are looking really scruffy. Lol.

I don't have the feeling they sick. They look healthy. (Besides the feathers) They look happy, are active, good eaters. Make those cute chicken noises etc.

Any of my fellow Sussex owners have the same experience?

Is it possible that the first big molting period still has to come?

Greeting,

Arne
(Edited some typos.)

Last edited:
My Sussex started molting in Dec and just finished up a couple weeks ago. It was her first molt and she looked pretty rough but she is back to her old self and laying again.

Feathers are a poor indicator of health this time of year. Instead look at their comb and wattles. If everything's plump and red, your birds are fine. If the combs are shriveled, pale or scabby, you may have some issues.

Thank you.

Bright red. All seems fine.

They'll molt when they're ready for it - some birds molt off season, some early, some late. Some molt severely while others just gradually lose a few feathers here and there. From the sounds of it (going by behavior) they're doing fine even without the molt.

Back
Top Bottom