Sustainability Thread- What is truly sustainable.

Quote:
Yah thats the nice thing about being a nurse, I can trade
big_smile.png
I also do glass work, and I am hoping to apprentice at some point with our local blacksmith. He makes REAL hinges, pots and pans, door handles, etc. He's an awesome guy and very much an artisan. Working with metal would definitely be a good skill. I know I will not be COMPLETELY self sufficient. I'm sure I will continue to buy clothes, etc. I just really desire a more reasonable life. I am thinning the extraneous things to the best of my ability. I figure if Im not part of the solution then I am part of the problem you know? I'm with you on this
clap.gif

Yes I need to keep the ground covered at the very least until I am ready to rotate crops and planting of the annual vegetables and fruits. So I want to not only preserve the soil levels, but protect and bolster the integrity of the soil.

I'm going to plant a large area with a cover crop this winter too with white clover, legume and grass blend. I have 20+ different fruit trees ready to be planted this fall and will have well over 30+ fruit trees in the ground by next spring. Not counting grapes and berries
big_smile.png
I planned for a extended and continual harvest from early May until nearing December (weather permitting here in CA). I just hate going to the supermarket and spending $ everyweek for fruit and veggies that are most likely covered in pesticides and grown 100's if not 1000's of miles away. I'd rather just walk out my door and pick a basket of what ever is in season
big_smile.png

Yup, this year I traded roosters to the amish for anything I hadn't grown. I love bartering and my neighboring farms are all very into it.

My other obsession (that I get laughed at for) is trying to absolutely buy local or only things made in the US. I get grief for that all the time. Even my plates are from a local potter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom