Sustainable breed help

Nicole27

Hatching
Jan 5, 2024
I want some opinions on sustainable meat birds please! I currently have bresse... I don't hate them, but I don't really get all the madness surrounding them either. Other than the bresse, I've only processed cc so I don't have any other experience with heritage breeds. I've only had the bresse for two years, but have been culling hard and only keeping body types that I'm wanting to continue. I'm currently contemplating Delaware, (would really like to find Delaware enhanced heritage broilers) new Hampshire, dorking, Plymouth rocks, and probably a dozen other breeds I've forgot to mention😂 I'm interested in good feed/meat conversion, broodiness and good mothering (my bresse love to go broody, but kill their babies so that's a huge downfall for me) my minds all over the place, but if I'm going to start looking at raising something else, I'd like to get them going sooner than later. Thank you!

When I started over and wanted a great dual purpose heritage breed that free ranges, broods, and does great in the cold (they have no problem in heat as well) I went with partridge Chanteclers. Roos and hens are plenty friendly and easy to care for. Im really happy with them and they sell easy. I can sell as many as I can hatch. There's lots of great breeds out there and its a tough choice. I found that having one breed you love is easier and more productive than a mixed flock. Good Luck!

I want some opinions on sustainable meat birds please! I currently have bresse... ... I'm interested in good feed/meat conversion, broodiness and good mothering (my bresse love to go broody, but kill their babies so that's a huge downfall for me)...
I've just started raising Bresse, but haven't had the chance to sample their meat yet. (dickhead George's days are numbered, though... I'll get a taste of him as soon as his girls give me enough eggs to incubate.) My girls also killed all but one of their chicks with their first hatch. I was hoping it will be better their second time around, but your comment has me concerned.

Going forward, I plan to incubate and brood the chicks myself. It's just better control over the outcome, no matter the breed. Would you keep your Bresse flock, if you took the same approach to incubating and brooding chicks?

I was chatting with a Dorking breeder last autumn. He has me convinced that a small flock of Dorkings would be a worthwhile venture. I wasn't able to get any from him as he had taken down his breeding pens for the year, but I'm sorely tempted to add some this year. I would get stock from a breeder who has been selecting for size, growth, and broodiness over a hatchery. Hatchery stock tends to be on the smaller side. That said, I have raised hatchery quality Plymouth Rocks & Jersey Giants for the freezer. Both breeds were still tender and flavorful for frying at 6 months, but the Rocks were more filled out.

Depending on your climate you might look at Naked Necks. Even hatchery birds are excellent mothers and the males make it to a ok size by the time I want to butcher. They lay as well as other heritage breeds too.

I would not recommend them if you have overly cold, damp, or windy winters. They only have about half the feathers of other breeds so they aren’t comfortable in the cold. They are excellent in the heat though, much better in my climate (southeast Georgia) than other full size chickens.

Back
Top Bottom