Sustainable meat bird

I agree. I also find something off-putting about the texture from most of the Cornish X chicken at the stores.
My sister-in-law said the same thing. Her whole life, she always had to have her chicken dry and overdone. She bought some chicken from us last year, which was Cornish cross, and said the texture was totally different. She really enjoyed eating our chicken.

My sister-in-law said the same thing. Her whole life, she always had to have her chicken dry and overdone. She bought some chicken from us last year, which was Cornish cross, and said the texture was totally different. She really enjoyed eating our chicken.
Finally someone who knows what I'm talking about😂 I actually went vegetarian for awhile not for any save the animals or planet reasons, but because I couldn't at the time afford the more expensive farm raised meats and that store chicken texture borderline makes my stomach turn if it's not pressure cooked or tenderized correctly. We bought some Cornish X roasts from a local farmer and the texture was much better on those.

What you're looking for is Muscovy Ducks. The males get about 12lbs in 12 weeks, the females to about 4.5-5lbs after 10 weeks. They have excellent feed-conversion-ratio, they're good forages, they're practically silent, and they raise their own young. The meat texture is closer to beef than chicken, they're leaner than other breeds of ducks. In fact, if you grill muscovy breast fillets like steak, it will taste almost identical to a nice steak.

Personally, I find I eat about 1/2 the amount of duck meat vs chicken meat in a meal and I'm satisfied because it's a much richer meat. In fact, google says 100grams of duck meat is 337 calories, whereas 100 grams of chicken is 239.

The downsides are: plucking waterfowl is more of a process, and the poop. They poop a lot.

Back
Top Bottom