Swapping out Hens so no Inbreeding?

cowdogcadillac

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
I have 3 mature hens and 2 toms. The all bred this season and now I have 17 young turkeys.I'm not sure which ones are from which ones. I was planning on eatin the toms at 6 months but should I swap out my young hens with someone else's to keep my toms( their Daddy's) from breeding them next season? Not sure.

Someone tell me what the norm is

I mark all my turkeys at hatch with wing bands. I also only use one Tom to a breeding pen. I always know who the daddy is. I can change toms but I don't collect eggs until I am sure enough time has past that I know the eggs are from Tom #2. I keep records of everything including who grows the fastest.

Also, if these are heritage turkeys, you will not be happy with a 6 month carcus. They take 8-9 months to be butchering size. If you want to clean 1 and see if you like it but I am just saying before you kill 3 or 4 and find out there is no breast and legs yet.

These are all mixes of Narraganset,Royal palm Toms and Broad Breasted Bronze Hens. I'll let them go till large enough for harvest. Just don't want to keep too many Toms into next years breeding season for fear of crazy fighting(bad enough with 2 Toms).Guess I shoulda kept better records or separated them into different pens,but I only have one pen and they bred up while free ranging the acre they wander while I'm working elsewhere.. Looks like I'll just trade out my hens ,there are alot of folks breeding them around here so shouldn't be too much of a fuss. So I need wing bands,another pen and records,,gotcha.

Ahhh,,I'll just eat em all instead

Back
Top Bottom