Swedish Blue

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Becky89*, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    I recently recieved eight swedish blue ducklings! I have them in with my 3 older pekings and they are doing great, what I am wondering is when the females nest are the ducklings going to be okay? They will be crossed between Swedish and Peking (one male per breed).

I've had problems in the past where pruebred peking ducklings die at 2days old becuase they have weak necks and can't support themselves........a couple were bow legged to [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    That sounds like a vitamen deficiancy. Try adding brewer's yeast to their baby crumbles. Ducks often suffer from a niacin deficiency.

Congrats on the new babies. I [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Swedish blues.

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    My Swedish babies were super hardy this Spring, didn't lose one. Some hatched in my bator and some hatched by one of the 'moms'. Hopefully the hardiness of the Swedish will help the mixed babies survive. They should make some pretty babies together [​IMG] Good luck!

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    mine were very hardy only lost one duckling this spring out of like 30 and it wasnt a swede it was a buff

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Leg problems are usually a sign of problems (not enough or too much)with humidity while incubating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by