Swedish flower hen?🤔

oshilo88

Songster
7 Years
Dec 5, 2015
Hello! Does anyone know what breed is my 23 weeks old hen, not laying yet. Ordered her as a rare breed from Meyer hatchery. Is it a Swedish flower ? Or a different breed?
Thank you in advance.
20200118_200623.jpg

Yes there are crested and non crested SFH. But you shouldn't breed crested to crested. It results in vaulted skulls. SFH should have small/slight crests, not full blown "Polish" crests.

Comb isn't right either.

For 23 weeks, she seems petite, but maybe that's just the picture. If so, a Bantam breed? I don't know if Swedish hens are or have a bantam size. From my quick research, there are crested and non crested varieties.
That's the picture, she isn't a bantam. She is a big hen😊

Yes there are crested and non crested SFH. But you shouldn't breed crested to crested. It results in vaulted skulls. SFH should have small/slight crests, not full blown "Polish" crests.
I got her from Meyer hatchery. They might have been bred crested to crested. She has a big crest! And yes, looks like Polish's crest...I noticed they have incorrect breeding. I also ordered Cream legbar, she has no crest. But she supposed to have one.( they told me it will grow when the chicken grows when I contacted them lol ) I ordered Welsummers, one of them has a few feathers on her foot , that's incorrect. Welsummers aren't supposed to have any feathers on their feet...

I got her from Meyer hatchery. They might have been bred crested to crested. She has a big crest! And yes, looks like Polish's crest...I noticed they have incorrect breeding. I also ordered Cream legbar, she has no crest. But she supposed to have one.( they told me it will grow when the chicken grows when I contacted them lol ) I ordered Welsummers, one of them has a few feathers on her foot , that's incorrect. Welsummers aren't supposed to have any feathers on their feet...

Sounds like a typical hatchery. If she is just going to be a pretty egg maker than your good to go. If your breeding SFH I personally wouldn't use her for breeding.

Did she have a legband when she arrived? Meyer appears to put colored bands on some of the rarer breed chicks, and list the color of the band on the breed page. If she had a band, and if you remember the color, it could help figure this out.

Looking through their "rare breeds" section, I see Swedish Flower Hens and Olive Eggers as possibilities. The olive eggers are hybrids of various sorts.
I also find "Lakeshore Eggers" in the section of colorful layers--they are hybrids of Cream Legbars and other breeds.

I think Swedish Flower Hen looks most likely.

When she starts laying eggs, that could help figure out what she is.

Back
Top Bottom