Swedish Flower Hen...Pullet or Roo?

mesquiteman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
San Marcos, TX
We bought this Swedish Flower Hen unsexed at a day old from a local breeder. It got a really bad eye infection and at one point, we did not think it was going to make it. After a lot of intensive care, it has come through with flying colors and is playing catch up on growing. It is full of life and attitude and a wonderful little chick! Now, the big question, is it a pullet or cockerel? It is 11 weeks old this week and we really hope it is a pullet. We already have two unexpected roos plus one that was expected! Maybe it is too young to tell yet?

Oh yeah, here is one of our Silver Laced Wyandotte "pullets" that we are pretty sure is a he rather than a she. What do you think?

Both of them kind of look like boys to me...the comb is a bit too large with too much colouring in it to be a definite girl, but I'm also not experienced with this particular breed and I do know there are some production breeds that mature much faster than most. Though I haven't heard of the Swedish Flower being one of the more productive breeds, so I am leaning more towards cockerel.

How old is your SLW? Though you hear about the odd person who has their Wyandotte lay around 20 weeks, as the Wyandotte is a pure breed - they are usually one of the breeds that take a bit longer than others to mature. My girl didn't lay until she was 39 weeks, I've heard of others not laying until 40 weeks and others around the 35 week mark. So going by what I've heard to be the 'norm', if your SLW is anything under 30 weeks and has that much of a comb and red in its face...I would be inclined to say male as well...my girl didn't even have that much red in her face when she started laying - it took her about nine months for her face to brighten up, she's almost a year old now and her comb is still growing!

Last edited:
I'm iffy on the SFH. My first thought was cockerel, but that's not really as much comb as I'd expect at this age. Then again, if the bird's been ill, that may effect comb development. How about pics again in a month or so?

The slw is a definite male.

Back
Top Bottom