Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hi jeremy,

Thanks for asking about Nero.  Yes, I love his coloring, and it is very interesting.  As KYTinP mentioned it is referred to as SnoLeopard.  Funny thing about Nero is he started as a black and yellow chick, and developed like a regular black based cockerel until about 12-14 weeks when his gold slowly started to present himself.  I haven't yet been able to hatch another like him, but he has had limited access to Swedish girls so far, as there were only 4 girls in his pen, along with a bunch of blue and green egg layers.  For 2016 he has a new harem of 12 girls, and I am hoping that we have some success with that!  I have another different bloodline SFH cockerel that is also a SnoLeopard, who started as a dark brown chick.  I have found this type seemingly reproduces the coloration with far more frequency.  He looks a bit different than Nero with far more white.  Nero is nearly all gold at this point, except for his black/white and gold chest.  

OHfarmerswife,

If I am correct, didn't this guy hatch from an "A" egg?  That would make him a son of Augustus, and not Nero.  Your boy is coloring in just like Augustus, and if he follows suit, will be a large, stout cockerel.  I also adore Augustus' personality.  He doesn't view me as a threat at all, and I can pick up the his girls and whereas he doesn't exactly like being handled, he tolerates it fine.  I look forward to watching your boy grow.  Did you name him yet?

MB

Goodness MB you are correct he did hatch from an A egg I think. No have not named him yet I have been too busy hatching SFH chicks under 4 broodies. Oh I also hatched 4 little black isbars from KY!!!!

Really pretty birds on this thread! Is there any SFH breeders in Southern Oregon? I am looking for breeding stock, eggs or chicks.

I'm in Southern Oregon, but mine are only 7 weeks old. I will have eggs and chicks this summer if all goes well. haha

So far I love these birds. They are so friendly and neat looking.

Hey there,

It was suggested that the hen pictured below may be a mix of a SFH.
Would anyone else here agree or have other suggestions?
I think she is a young adult, she lays small light brown eggs with tiny white spots on them.

Thanks,
Coop N Scoop

Hey there,

It was suggested that the hen pictured below may be a mix of a SFH.
Would anyone else here agree or have other suggestions?
I think she is a young adult, she lays small light brown eggs with tiny white spots on them.

Thanks,
Coop N Scoop

welcome-byc.gif
If she has SFH in her, it is a small part. She is splash in color and I don't see any flowering. She also appears to have a pea comb.

Last edited:
Haha....

My newbie alert just posted to the General Forum!! Oops! I have had chickens before but I'm new to these.

I'm Kim from TN... fell in love with these chickens while looking for a completely different breed!

I'm putting in a new coop and asking for different advice... high or low for the hens to lay? Roosts or more ground dwelling?

Fave crazy story? I'd like to hear it? Read it?? Good things, bad things??

Thanks!!
Kim

Welcome to the Swedish Flower craze Kim! You will love these birds, they have been my favorite by far!

a couple answers to your questions:

Mine tend to like the ground nesting boxes more then the wall mounted ones. I began using ground nests when they began flying over my 7' fence to lay eggs under my porch steps. It seemed to do the trick! They still fly over, but leave the eggs where they belong at least Lol

Which brings me to the point that they are wonderful flyers! Clipped wings just add a challenge and my worst flyers have learned to flap and climb, all in the name of coming out just to visit. So if you want them to stay put, make sure the run has a top!

Roosting time is interesting, if given a choice they'll be on the roof, a tree or anywhere as high as possible! Guidence while they're young seems to do the trick for us.

My flock will fly over the fence when I pull in and several jump in the car while I'm trying to get out, never have I had a breed be this friendly and intelligent.
On the breeding side of things, it's like Easter every three weeks, you just don't know what's going to pop out of the egg.

"Bad" things may be inbreeding depression- the gene pool isn't exceptionally large. Split wing & comb sprigs can pop up a bit more often with these birds. Personally I've had minimal trouble with this, but have heard others have had bad luck.

Last edited:
Welcome Kim! I have had chickens off and on for about 20 years. These guys have stolen my heart. They are more like family members or pets than barnyard critters. I love their independent spirit in that they are hard to fence in and excellent foragers. On the other hand, they don't stay put without an enclosed pen, they like to be in charge of where they lay eggs and go wherever they want to. They particularly like to sit on my car during the day. They are super friendly, very beautiful and mine have been hardy. They each have their own personality and it is most difficult to not name them and never want to let them go. That makes them hard to part with!
This is my favorite breed. You have come to the right place to see some beautiful birds! These are some of the newest babies. They are 2 weeks old here.

Back
Top Bottom