Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Oh, okay, I wasn't sure. He's only about 7-8 months old. I wasn't sure if it was just cause he's still young. This is my first SFH rooster that's made it this long. I've noticed all my others do go through a pain in the butt stage.

Quote: no one said it needs to be recognized, did they??? And for changing what is special about the breed, how do you figure that is going to change the bird/breed? You make no sense to me, sorry! Getting this bird recognized by the ALBC is just a way to get the breed noticed by more people to see what the world has to offer! It is another creation that almost went extinct at one point and has made its comback and is still populating, so if we never would have seen this bird how would we be able to save the breed......NO ONE said we are changing the breed, it is after all still a Swedish Flower Hen, right???? YES! The ALBC recognizes the RHode Island Red, have the heritage birds of this breed changed, no a Rhode Island red is a rhode island red,....as far as a standard goes the only thing they are looking for is the body shape, leg color and normal wings (no split wings) this is just a base so they can look at it they said hey understand the color patterns, and wont make a fuss there! I just want people to be able to see this breed and the beauty it has to offer, not everyone has a computer and dont know anything about these birds, i didnt until i saw them on the internet....if this get racognized there are programs that can be set up to help the breed from becoming extinct, we would also have it easier to get it into the APA and then we will be able to show it as a breed and get rewarded for it

Last edited:
Oh, okay, I wasn't sure. He's only about 7-8 months old. I wasn't sure if it was just cause he's still young. This is my first SFH rooster that's made it this long. I've noticed all my others do go through a pain in the butt stage.

My Gunnar has been going through this stage - but he seems to be over it. Take a peek at this if you get a chance. It really does work. I have a "rooster stick" and Gunnar knows exactly what it means. Of course now he moves away regardless of if I have a stick or not.

Ok I know the pictures are terrible, I will try and get better pics tomorrow, but what do you think? pullets or cockerels? They are almost 4 mos old.

I have 4 month olds as well and mine are very obviously pullets and cockerels. Yours look like girls to me. Pretty.

Actually I was just about to post that my 2 boys have been busy making time with the hens and I have found 3 tiny eggs over the last two days. This seems early but I have the evidence. Anyone else experience early maturity?

I am super excited that mine get to go outside during the day next week! I have a coop with a run that will be the perfect transition coop to keep them safe from the roosters that free range but let them mess around in the grass, and it's moveable too. I'll be glad...they are making the biggest mess in the brooder several times a day by trying to jump on top the waterer and knock it over.

Back
Top Bottom