Swedish Flower Hen Thread

actually, in my experience with mottled cochins, they get MORE as they mature and get older, not less... though the first feathers may show more than the next moult. but once they mature they get more with each moult.
Whoops, I just went back and looked over the Aloha thread and guess what, I goofed GAAARR! Almost every SFH & Aloha that had very little mottling to begin with got more mottled. Sorry everyone, I guess that's what happens when I try to remember stuff I see a couple weeks before I post it. Thanks ki4got for correcting me, hopefully won't happen again (knock on wood).

thanks to everyone who replied to my question about sfh x ss!

Can't wait to see the products!
smile.png
Check out my sig when you get the chicks

At what age can you generally start to be able to tell if chicks are pullets or roos? I have my first batch of 4 chicks and I'm praying for pullets. I can't keep roosters. They are SFH chicks, by the way.

Last edited:
My 4.5 week-olds hatched by my white Silkie LOVED free ranging in the beautiful VA weather today! I had them out almost the entire day.

And on a side note, I've got SFH eggs coming out my ears it seems. Now that spring has finally sprung (knocking on wood), my 3 girls are laying almost daily.

My 4.5 week-olds hatched by my white Silkie LOVED free ranging in the beautiful VA weather today! I had them out almost the entire day.

And on a side note, I've got SFH eggs coming out my ears it seems. Now that spring has finally sprung (knocking on wood), my 3 girls are laying almost daily.
well, time is running out to have them hatched in time for gilmanor. LOL

At what age can you generally start to be able to tell if chicks are pullets or roos? I have my first batch of 4 chicks and I'm praying for pullets. I can't keep roosters. They are SFH chicks, by the way.
looking at bulldogma's, i'd say the one in the middle is for sure a roo, and possibly the one to the right. (sorry
hu.gif
)

mine that i got from her hatched march 5th, so about the same age i guess. i've definitely got one roo, possibly 2 also, from my 3.

no pics yet, but they're coloring in nicely... i think i've got all black-based. this is good since my older guys are all bue-based.

oh! and an update on redneck... his boo-boo is healing. looks like the superglue didn't hold for very long, but long enough for it to start closing up. but man he looks bad with NO feathers on his chest... like he became part turken overnight.

i turned him loose today for the first time since it happenned (needed the cage for the poultry swap) but he's still hanging out mostly in the horse trailer, recuperating.

Back
Top Bottom