Swedish Flower Hen Thread

My black and red pullet is now a hen. She laid a lovely egg yesterday. I found it this morning. Time to start watching fertility!

Congrats on the egg, and I'm so happy to hear your LGDs are creating such a safe environment for your chickens!!
thumbsup.gif

so many of you have lost many birds to predators. Sounds like LGF dogs are pretty much the answer to keeping chickens safe but have any of you tried electric netting and if you have, what has happened thereafter? Did this solve your problem long-term with the exception of flying predators? I put up some electric netting myself a few month ago and haven't lost any birds since. Prior to that, I was dealing with coons and a fox that was getting my free ranging birds in day time. Once I put up the fence, not a single bird has been lost to these predators. I hesitate to allow myself to believe it's really that good with as little time as I have been using it so wanted to know what results others have had who maybe have been using electric fencing a while. The fence can be a pain to deal with as it easily will sag without finding ways to stretch it and it never moves or folds as easily as they tell you it does but so far I'm willing to deal with these issues because it seems to have solved the predator issue.

they were not SFHs, but i have lost 4 birds in the past two weeks to a bobcat (mostly likely a mama with kittens nearby, since she's hanging around -- usually they hunt over a very large range & aren't so "resident" in one spot) & have had to stop all free-ranging outside their runs for now -- am thinking of trying some electrical fencing, but not sure how well it would work against a large cat?

so many of you have lost many birds to predators. Sounds like LGF dogs are pretty much the answer to keeping chickens safe but have any of you tried electric netting and if you have, what has happened thereafter?  Did this solve your problem long-term with the exception of flying predators?  I put up some electric netting myself a few month ago and haven't lost any birds since. Prior to that, I was dealing with coons and a fox that was getting my free ranging birds in day time. Once I put up the fence, not a single bird has been lost to these predators.  I hesitate to allow myself to believe it's really that good with as little time as I have been using it so wanted to know what results others have had who maybe have been using electric fencing a while. The fence can be a pain to deal with as it easily will sag without finding ways to stretch it and it never moves or folds as easily as they tell you it does but so far I'm willing to deal with these issues because it seems to have solved the predator issue.

I have both netting (poultry netting from kencove) and LGD's. We use netting for rotational grazing. While it is a deterrent, especially for non-flying predators, it will not dissuade a serious predator or hawks, turkey vultures, etc. Also... To prevent grounding out, the bottom strand on most netting is not hot. Fox, raccoons, dogs and coyotes quickly figure out its easy to get under (even without digging).
So... Netting is yet another deterrent. And all deterrents help. But mine livestock wouldn't survive without my maremma. If I had to choose between the two I'd go with my LGDs every time. ;-)

electric fencing is suppose to even protect against bears so I am sure it would work for lg cats. Not much different between a fox and a bobcat in terms of size. I also had a bobcat here that I lost a few to well before the fence. I hadn't seen it in a while when I put the fence up but all I know is that I haven't lost anything since the fence. Make sure you don't put the fence near a tree or someplace where a cat or coon could use the tree to get over the fence.

they were not SFHs, but i have lost 4 birds in the past two weeks to a bobcat (mostly likely a mama with kittens nearby, since she's hanging around -- usually they hunt over a very large range & aren't so "resident" in one spot) & have had to stop all free-ranging outside their runs for now -- am thinking of trying some electrical fencing, but not sure how well it would work against a large cat?

It will deter. But it won't prevent assuredly.
Depends how the hunting is elsewhere and how motivated the cat is. ;-). Electric is worth the shock to many animals once they learn they can get past it and it quits on "the other side".

I have both netting (poultry netting from kencove) and LGD's. We use netting for rotational grazing. While it is a deterrent, especially for non-flying predators, it will not dissuade a serious predator or hawks, turkey vultures, etc. Also... To prevent grounding out, the bottom strand on most netting is not hot. Fox, raccoons, dogs and coyotes quickly figure out its easy to get under (even without digging).
So... Netting is yet another deterrent. And all deterrents help. But mine livestock wouldn't survive without my maremma. If I had to choose between the two I'd go with my LGDs every time. ;-)

Yes, getting under like you describe is something I have worried about although it hadn't happened YET! I got some of those plastic tent stakes from walmart that have the little "hook" on top and have hooked it over that bottom wire and pushed it into the ground to help hold the fence down better in places something was most likely to go under. At least with that last wire more "attached" to the ground, I'm hoping any potential predator will be more likely to come in contact with the hot wire 4" up if they have to work at it harder. I too have the kencove fence. I got the pos/neg type.

It will deter. But it won't prevent assuredly.
Depends how the hunting is elsewhere and how motivated the cat is. ;-). Electric is worth the shock to many animals once they learn they can get past it and it quits on "the other side".

thanks, very helpful! step one for me is clearly just to keep the birds in for a while, as the bobcat has been encouraged to hang around by the 4 that it's caught...

I also have had the electric poultry fencing for over a year. I have lost one duck to a hawk inside it, but putting up random poles within the area has prevented it from returning. I have no poles in my SFH yard, but the roos are very vigilant and the chickens can run under the coop for protection. We know there is a fox in the area that is well aware that the chickens are here. It did get one of our true free-rangers, but they insisted on going outside the fenced pasture and across the street to the woods. The fox came back for a second try and got a hold of a second hen (we found the bite marks on her back), but she escaped. I think my roo kicked its hiney!
big_smile.png
I now keep them enclosed in their tractor and a run.

Perhaps we have been lucky because we are loaded with coons, fox, opossum, skunks and coyotes in our area. A friend a few miles from us has even heard a bobcat. But it seems once they learn the fence is electric and test it, generally the sound alone will keep them at bay if there is any other prey in the area. Of course, it helps that all of my birds are locked up tight at night.

Back
Top Bottom