Swedish Flower Hen Thread

If you had a significant number of eggs die off at one time, I would suspect something like bacterial contamination of the incubator or incorrect temps but since it was a week since your last candling it's hard to say how closely they were in age that they died. I find that is an age were I will often lose some. Some are typically lost in first few days. I will see the beginnings of veining then few days later, I see a blood ring. Then there are those that make it a bit longer like in that age range you describe and die. If these are shipped eggs, to lose 7 or so out of your 18 and have the rest hatch, would be a good hatch for shipped. To lose 7 eggs seems like a lot but that's not a big loss from the total on shipped. However if these weren't shipped and the eggs were from healthy well fed hens, I would wonder more about why these died. Again, I would consider some kind of contamination or temp issues. Maybe too high heat. I found out early that if you have those lower priced Styrofoam incubators, you have to be less trustful of what any built in thermometers tell you. I have found them to be significantly off. Even the mercury ones included can be a couple of degrees off. Enough to kill eggs. I calibrate all my thermometers now and rely on a digital lab quality one for my incubators. I trust it before anything else. This is the one I use. Works good and not real expensive

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NX0VQU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thermometer comes in a Celsius version as well as Fahrenheit . The link is to the F version. Be sure you know which you are getting. The batteries lasted months even with me forgetting to turn it off and all of mine were 2/10 of a degree or less off.

Last edited:
I have 6+ shipping in the morning to me. I'm hoping for better results this time but all you can do is hope and keep trying I guess.
Hee-hee-hee... you have 10 eggs on the way! Totally
fl.gif
they get treated well en route!!!!!

Hey Leigh! I think I posted this before, and it's not the best picture, with a half Buff hen trying to steal the limelight...
But this is Lafayette, our 'different' SFH cockerel.

Wowzers!!! He's stunning! Does he have any yellowish-orange anywhere on him? I rather wonder if the same thing is at play with a gene that mutes the red like my girl (from your eggs)??

And by the way - with her unique color, she's one of my favorites!!!!

I put some of my Swedes eggs in my Brinsea Adv 20 with humidity pump and got about 80-90% hatch rate....I had a R Com Digital and had maybe 50% rate on the same eggs.

With my shipped eggs I have got 0 out of 12 hatch to over 80% on another set....same seller, packed the same but it was the PO....the box was smashed on one egg so I think the PO dropped it and not one hatch. I got another doz from her and got the 80% hatch.

I put some of my Swedes eggs in my Brinsea Adv 20 with humidity pump and got about 80-90% hatch rate....I had a R Com Digital and had maybe 50% rate on the same eggs.

With my shipped eggs I have got 0 out of 12 hatch to over 80% on another set....same seller, packed the same but it was the PO....the box was smashed on one egg so I think the PO dropped it and not one hatch. I got another doz from her and got the 80% hatch.
I agree. The Post Office and its handling of shipped eggs are the most critical factor in hatch rates for shipped eggs. I have had many egg shipments come with crunched boxes, destroyed air sacks in the eggs, and some eggs just were plain broken in the box.

Just wanted to share my rather unusually colored 11-week old pullet. She's almost a leopard print Mille Fleur. Her red is muted to almost yellow, the white is dominant and the black makes for a striking contrast. Unfortunately the photos don't do her coloring justice... Anyone else have one like this??
She's gorgeous!

have you guys noticed aggression with your roosters? 
I raised 5 to adulthood. I ended up keeping one, who is extremely sweet and has never come at me. Of the others, three were fiesty.
I really wanted to keep more than one free ranging on 4 acres. I found them to gang up on the hens, breeding them one after the other. I
couldn't take it and for the sake of the hens decided to just keep my one sweet boy.

There are alot of people gone from this forum now.  :idunno why.  
I've been out of the loop dealing with a family crisis. I have my Mille Fleur roo and 8 hens. I had a terrible hatch last year. Ended up only keeping
a couple of birds. Was hit by a coyote. I think the neighbor dispatched it..haven't seen it for a long time. Lost a few birds then. Also, quite a few people
got them when I did and the market around me became very saturated. I'm sticking with SFH, but not breeding right now due to personal matters. Who knows
what spring will bring.

Back
Top Bottom