Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Oh no! I know your fondness for her went much deeper than just what a good breeder she was. I'm so sorry you lost your sweetie.

somad.gif

Don't know what else to say. Just
somad.gif

Oh no! I know your fondness for her went much deeper than just what a good breeder she was. I'm so sorry you lost your sweetie.
Thank you.

somad.gif

Don't know what else to say. Just
somad.gif
Sue - thankfully Ki4got has a number of Birta's chicks, and I have 4 more Birta eggs that I will be taking to K's DH who will bring them up to her to be incubated and hatched. I promised you a Birta pullet, and therefore one of her pullets has your name on it! Her legacy will continue!

In memory of my beautiful Birta - March 23, 2013 - January 26, 2014 Birta was taken by a hawk today. She was one of my best quality breeding hens. I am very thankful I still have her lovely sister, Marta. Unfortunately this also means free ranging will be on hold for the rest of the flock until further notice. I'm pretty heartbroken over this loss. :hit
So sorry for your loss!

In memory of my beautiful Birta - March 23, 2013 - January 26, 2014
Birta was taken by a hawk today. She was one of my best quality breeding hens.

I am very thankful I still have her lovely sister, Marta.

Unfortunately this also means free ranging will be on hold for the rest of the flock until further notice. I'm pretty heartbroken over this loss.
hit.gif
Sorry for your loss; it is always heartbreaking. With this tough winter, the hawk must have been really hungry to go for a full grown chicken. I have seen hawks around my chickens but so far none have attempted an attack.

Sorry for your loss; it is always heartbreaking. With this tough winter, the hawk must have been really hungry to go for a full grown chicken. I have seen hawks around my chickens but so far none have attempted an attack.

Alma is the only SFH I have that is larger than Birta was. The hawk attacks the neck and tears out the jugular... then apparently just sat in the chicken yard and ate as much of her as it could. She was way too big to carry off.

Alma is the only SFH I have that is larger than Birta was. The hawk attacks the neck and tears out the jugular... then apparently just sat in the chicken yard and ate as much of her as it could. She was way too big to carry off.

So sorry to hear of your loss. It seems like the hawks and eagles pick our favorites. I lost quite a few this spring and then put up fish nets. Saw and Bald Eagles go after my Marans and bounce off the net. The hens have a 32 x 32 space to run in and when I get home, they get to free range. The runs are all covered and my losses have pretty much stopped.

Today was kind of weird. My horse was standing in his corral chuffing. When I went down to see what it was (I thought mountain lion because he never does this, even with coyotes) all I could see was a huge hawk in a tree. Not the big dead tree that the hawks usually sit in, this one looking like he was trying to hide himself. My birds were locked up at the time. Funny how the horse sensed danger.

Very sorry Bulldogma. Glad you'll get some of her babies though.

In memory of my beautiful Birta - March 23, 2013 - January 26, 2014
Birta was taken by a hawk today. She was one of my best quality breeding hens.

I am very thankful I still have her lovely sister, Marta.

Unfortunately this also means free ranging will be on hold for the rest of the flock until further notice. I'm pretty heartbroken over this loss.
hit.gif
hugs.gif

thanks for the heads up on the eggs. LOL I told hubby so he'd try to remember to bring them home this time... (each previous time he's forgotten them the first day) so once you drop them off, send me a text and i'll send him a reminder. LOL

also, if you want i'll hatch her eggs separately and mark them... let me know.

Back
Top Bottom