Swedish Flower Hen Thread

oh and just an fyi...  I had to learn the hard way apparently..

everyone around here was out of shavings a few weeks ago, but southern states had gotten some from another distributor.  I ran out of the other shavings I'd been using in the brooders so decided this would do, since it's what I had... 

if you get shavings from a new source, check them out for cedar shavings mixed in with the pine!  I changed the bedding yesterday, and within the last 24 hours have lost 7 chicks!  soon as I realized what was going on I moved them to the other brooder (which hadn't been cleaned yet) and dumped it all out. it doesn't seem to affect the birds outside, and I really didn't think much of it at the time, but it does have a bit of a cedar-ish smell.

that is the only thing that has changed in the last day that might explain chicks in one brooder only dying off like that. they were all nice and plump, well hydrated, but the legs and facial skin was a lot darker than I'm used to seeing.

fortunately I did pick up a bale of the stuff I usually use (statesman fine shavings from southern states) when I went by there the other day, but thought I'd use a bale I'd already opened first...

:barnie :he

Was it the cox brand name? My SS got this in instead of statesmen.

I candled my SFH eggs last night,16 looked great, 3 clear, and the rest were iffy so i kept them cooking till next week.Between the new incubator and very well packed eggs this is the best rate I've had with shipped eggs yet. And today I will set another flat that came in yesterday. I just get a kick out of hatching but hate the waiting.

Well, Leigh...I see some more dark kiddos there.
Heehee - Two of them have red heads and black backs - indicative of black-based Mille Fleurs. One blue and One orangy. The Orangy one could end up Mille with little black, or red/white. It may even be hiding blue... you just never know with this breed... which makes it so much FUN!!!

ok well, here's the PFH... pics taken about 5 minutes ago. LOL

assessments? hatch was 2.20.14 so 3 weeks old now.

and if anyone has any suggestions for keeping chicks clean while feeding FF let me know. LOL

(helps to load pics)

Yup - looks pure Silkie. And no... there is no good way to keep FF off of them. LOL!

oh and just an fyi... I had to learn the hard way apparently...

everyone around here was out of shavings a few weeks ago, but southern states had gotten some from another distributor. I ran out of the other shavings I'd been using in the brooders so decided this would do, since it's what I had...

if you get shavings from a new source, check them out for cedar shavings mixed in with the pine! I changed the bedding yesterday, and within the last 24 hours have lost 7 chicks! soon as I realized what was going on I moved them to the other brooder (which hadn't been cleaned yet) and dumped it all out. it doesn't seem to affect the birds outside, and I really didn't think much of it at the time, but it does have a bit of a cedar-ish smell.

that is the only thing that has changed in the last day that might explain chicks in one brooder only dying off like that. they were all nice and plump, well hydrated, but the legs and facial skin was a lot darker than I'm used to seeing.

fortunately I did pick up a bale of the stuff I usually use (statesman fine shavings from southern states) when I went by there the other day, but thought I'd use a bale I'd already opened first...

barnie.gif
he.gif

Oh no!!! Did the bag SAY it was pine shavings? If so, I'd throw a BIG fuss!

I have read that percentage of hatching shipped SFH eggs is low, but I go 0 from 7 eggs. So bummed! We had a bunch of our own eggs in the bator too, and they are all hatching.
Question...if we crossed Ameraucanas w/ our SFH roo, would the resulting chickens lay olive colored eggs? I have no idea how chicken genetics work.
1f61c.png

I have read that percentage of hatching shipped SFH eggs is low, but I go 0 from 7 eggs. So bummed! We had a bunch of our own eggs in the bator too, and they are all hatching.
Question...if we crossed Ameraucanas w/ our SFH roo, would the resulting chickens lay olive colored eggs? I have no idea how chicken genetics work.
1f61c.png

Yes it should make a OE.Hopefully I will be producing some of that cross myself with a EE roo over SFH hens.

Quote:
yes... I went back to the statesman and am now nursing some 'off' babies who aren't doing well, but they're eating and drinking just fine. they're just weak and uncoordinated now.

I had to separate them out from the stronger ones, they were getting bumped and pushed around too much.

Last edited:
Quote: re: the silkie, that's good to know. just cross fingers for a girl. otherwise you get HIM back. LOL

re: the shavings, it does say pine shavings, but if it's milled somewhere that they make others, it can get mixed at times... nothing anyone can do about that unless it says 'pure' pine shavings. I did already call and the mgr apologized and said she'd had similar complaints already but there wasn't anything she could do except refund my money for the bale... a lot like food products when people are allergic to something. gluten for example... I think unless it says 'gluten free' even if the label doesn't include it, it's not always 'free'... at least that's my take on it.

so i'll just keep it for the outside pens to soak up water when it gets muddy... I am taking the other bale back tomorrow tho to swap for the statesman.

Last edited:
yes...  I went back to the statesman and am now nursing some 'off' babies who aren't doing well, but they're eating and drinking just fine. they're just weak and uncoordinated now.

I had to separate them out from the stronger ones, they were getting bumped and pushed around too much.

Ugh... I got that to. I put it in my coop. Most likely would of used it with my sfh chicks due on the 22. So sorry about your chicks but glad I saw this!

Back
Top Bottom