Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Leigh, he is really pretty for a splash. Although I think my Splash avatar roo is nice, splash is not my fav SFH color but your boy definitely would be a keeper for me! :)

Thank you! He's Sorenson's son, Severus.

Here's an example of dark sickle feathers with flowering. At least some of a SFH's dark tail feathers should be flowered, if not most of them:

The mottled gene is homozygous for this breed and will create mottling on most or all of the bird's dark feathers.

Quote: I have to agree, he doesn't look like SFH. I have hatched many chicks and kept almost all until I saw what they looked like as juveniles. (so I can keep the prettiest for myself
hide.gif
) Those I sold as chicks, I have seen since I sold them. I have never seen any of them display any barring like that.
Quote: Here is my splash (not a current pic - he lost all the points on his comb to frostbite this winter
hit.gif
)

I have to agree, he doesn't look like SFH. I have hatched many chicks and kept almost all until I saw what they looked like as juveniles. (so I can keep the prettiest for myself
hide.gif
) Those I sold as chicks, I have seen since I sold them. I have never seen any of them display any barring like that.
Here is my splash (not a current pic - he lost all the points on his comb to frostbite this winter
hit.gif
)

He's a beauty! Sorry about his comb - a lot of SFH lost their comb tips this winter! I thought Blue was going to lose his, but by some small miracle he didn't lose much at all.

I
Huhm wonder where those came from? LOL. We have a new rooster in with our girls, actually three roosters total, but the one who took over the coop is a gorgeous white with light barring and he is throwing some gorgeous chicks.
Um, I don't think that's a sfh. Almost looks like legbar cross. I would not breed him.

Tiffany had eggs from you and us both in together and wasn't sure if it was your eggs or ours.  All of our SFH either came from you or GFF. We also have one from GFF that is Chocolate with chocolate legs. Jennie said she had had a handful that hatched that way.  We have SFH from all 3 lines.

I would not breed her either. I think most of us stick to yellow legs, orange eyes and "flowers". We have no SOP but there are guild lines I find helpful.

yes, I have been breeding SFH's for 3 years, I know what the standard is considered. I also know that you never know what to expect and with the SFH's being a landrace fowl and coming from 3 areas lots of things can pop up. I have a message to Jenny from GFF about this Roo. Rest assured, she will know if he should be considered a SFH- if she tells me to not breed him then I will not have him in my pens and well... we all know what happens to undesirable roosters.

yes, I have been breeding SFH's for 3 years, I know what the standard is considered. I also know that you never know what to expect and with the SFH's being a landrace fowl and coming from 3 areas lots of things can pop up. I have a message to Jenny from GFF about this Roo. Rest assured, she will know if he should be considered a SFH- if she tells me to not breed him then I will not have him in my pens and well... we all know what happens to undesirable roosters.

Hon - I completely respect your experience with this breed, but I'll bet you have had deep-down reservations about this boy. Mistakes do happen.

Please don't breed him.

Think about it - he doesn't have flowering, he's barred and his conformation is "off" for a SFH. Is this really what you want to perpetuate in your flock? Why would you want to use a rooster that is unrecognizable as a SFH to breed SFH? If you bred show dogs and had a dog you believed to be a pure bred German Shepherd Dog, but it looked like a Keeshond, would you make it your head stud?

I know my words are probably upsetting to you, but I think you need to hear them. I'm sorry.

I actually am going to remove him this afternoon - he had only been in the pen about 4 weeks but he was so unique and I was very confident where he came from. Since no one has ever seen one like him then we will just call him an undesirable trait and I have found that SFH roos make great supper. lol.. Thanks guys, appreciate all the input. I have a beauty growing up that was going to be his replacement that is from the 3rd line of GFF. For now it will be the pink line roo that was my first roo I ever got. I will post some pics of everyone this weekend. We had some great pics but lost them when our computer crashed a few months back.

You have a valid point. None of us knows what genes lurk in the depths of the SFH and no one can prove he is not SFH without genetic tests. However, I would not use him because he appears to not be pure. If you pull up all the SFH auctions on Ebay and compare the pics, yours stands out like a sore thumb as different. Not a good thing when one is looking for purebred eggs. Perception is often stronger than the truth. I think you are just shooting yourself in the foot by using him. Sorry because he is a very handsome boy.

Back
Top Bottom