Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hi everyone, I am hoping to pick up some Swedish flower hen chicks this weekend and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to pick for adult colorings- meaning I want to get some grey/blue tones but not black. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)

Hi everyone, I am hoping to pick up some Swedish flower hen chicks this weekend and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to pick for adult colorings- meaning I want to get some grey/blue tones but not black. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
smile.png
look for chicks that have a lighter body color than others then... but IMO having all blues, your flock may look a bit 'washed out'. but that's just me (splash are even more washed out IMO). I have black based roosters and either blues or blacks in the girls, tho I am planning to keep 1 splash girl I like, but she will be with a black based roo too, so will produce all blues.

Yup, CCLs are barred. They're part of how I make my sex-linked olive eggers.
big_smile.png

I'd say she's pure. I've had a few chicks that have a "washed out" stripe like yours in the previous post and I know for sure they were only with my SFH roo.

Last edited:
look for chicks that have a lighter body color than others then...  but IMO having all blues, your flock may look a bit 'washed out'. but that's just me (splash are even more washed out IMO). I have black based roosters and either blues or blacks in the girls, tho I am planning to keep 1 splash girl I like, but she will be with a black based roo too, so will produce all blues.

Thank you for you advise! :)

Um, I have had Sweds since Greenfire first imported them and I have never had any with the coloring of the two hens, much less two with almost exact patterning. Are you sure they are not Swed Mixes? I could be wrong, I mean Sweds have a multiplicity of colorings.

Um, I have had Sweds since Greenfire first imported them and I have never had any with the coloring of the two hens, much less two with almost exact patterning. Are you sure they are not Swed Mixes? I could be wrong, I mean Sweds have a multiplicity of colorings.

Are you referencing my post? If so, they had better be SFH because they are from GFF.

Hi Everyone,
Back in my March test hatch, I had one chick that hatched out with suspicious striping on the back and there was a brief discussion on the thread about whether some Cream Legbar influence might be the culprit. I've since determined that all of my Legbars definitely lay blue eggs and that the EEs in the pen at the time also lay blue-green eggs. A Swede was definitely the mom, then, but there was still the possibility of my CL cockerel being the father. Here are some pictures from along the way, the most recent having been taken today. Please let me know what you think.

Chick in question is in upper right corner, down one from the top.

Here is a top shot around 2 weeks

And a side view of the same age

Here is one from today.

Would a SFH/CL cross show the mottling like this?

Do these help?

Erica,

IMHO, you definitely have a cream legbar for a father for this chick. If you look closely at what in a SFH would be called blue feathering, you will see marking across the blue feathers. This is actually barring from the cream legbar. I have done some cream legbar hybrids and started a thread for them. The barring is dominant and will come through on both males and females. While SFH operate on a black, blue, & splash base, they have lots of other colors overlaid upon that base. While I am not a geneticist, I believe that SFH also have the mottling gene but I am not sure of its dominance (@Ki4got can give us some good input on this). You will also see the face of this chick is very different from a SFH and aligns more like a cream legbar than a SFH.

I have wanted to try some cream legbar SFH hybrids for a project. Thank you for the pictures, however unintentional your project was.
wink.png
But this little pullet will lay a light green egg since the blue egg gene is dominant and the SFH will overlay a little bit of brown onto the blue.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/825092/cream-legbar-hybrid-thread

Tony

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom