Swedish Flower Hen Thread

were they outside or inside? if outside I might say they found something, bug, fungus, weed, that should not be eaten and ate it anyways. I've had that happen on a number of occasions. twice I actually watched them hunt down the bad bug, while I tried to distract them and get it first...

if they're inside, check their feed bag thoroughly for signs of mold or mildew. usually that doesn't act as fast, but it's possible.
They are in an enclosed run 80% of the time. The last time they free ranged was Sunday.

ok we now have blitz, my dorking momma, who's taking ALL the sfh babies. those hatched last week AND the ones hatching today. 15 from last week, I've got another 15 eggs in the hatcher... needless to say she won't be keeping them all, but I need a good LARGE broody to babysit while we're at the swap on Saturday.

I'm thinking Buffy's sfh are old enough to be on their own for the day, considering they were on their own outdoors for 3 days before I foisted them on her. LOL (at 4-6 weeks old!) but just in case she'll come along for the ride in her own tote, to take on anyone that looks chilled.

I've got one of my mottled bantam cochins (who came home with me from gilmanor LAST spring as a new chick!) with all the 'stay at home' cochin babies (silver laced, from new to 2 weeks old) and my silver laced girl has the wyandottes that got here today (8 are going to Gilmanor to their new owner). IF she'll accept them. if not I have a few more broodies I can try, but one is part of a pair I'd rather sell off... or I can foist them off on Blitz too, and just band the keepers and go-ers so we don't mistake them as sfh (did that last year! LOL)

Yes... what types of bugs are no good for chickens?

usually they figure out which ones taste better than others... but a lot of moths, lightning bugs, I think centipedes, wasps can do damage before they're killed... I don't know that there's a specific list, but you can google dangerous insects for reptiles and find a bunch I'm sure. a lot of people try catching their own bugs for lizards and such, not all are safe. but for a chicken, they have to learn the hard way I think... a broody would warn them off since she's already learned which ones are good.

Here is my white chick, more showing lt grey on his head & a bit in one of his wings.
An Ali chick for sure! Probably has a really outgoing personality and fearless. The pullets are the same, but VERY cuddly!

I need some emergency help. It may be a basic thing, but I have never run into it before!

A few days ago I had one of my young cockerels from a New Years hatch die. Today one of my poulets died in the same fashion. Here is what happened: They were acting just fine, began acting lethargic rather suddenly and were dead within several hours. Any ideas what might be going on? I am a bit worried especially since I only have 1 poulet left. I can't loose her or I am in trouble in getting my flock going!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As Ki4got said - mold, bad bugs - and to add to the list, have you set out any poison mouse baits? I lost a number of birds to poison mice and insects when my neighbors had an exterminator out.
Any other symptoms? Any purple combs, nasal or eye discharge, sneezing or coughing?

As Ki4got said - mold, bad bugs - and to add to the list, have you set out any poison mouse baits? I lost a number of birds to poison mice and insects when my neighbors had an exterminator out.
Any other symptoms? Any purple combs, nasal or eye discharge, sneezing or coughing?

No poison, eye discharge or sneezing. On the nasal discharge, I don't recall any, but I'd need to check with my wife to see what she may have noticed.

Yes... what types of bugs are no good for chickens?

Any that may have been sprayed with poison and not died yet. It can get on the carapace of a flying bug and be carried quite a distance. If you're out in the country the odds are low, but if you have any housing additions nearby, those people put out poison as a hobby.

Back
Top Bottom