Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I'm pretty sure I've got a broody... anyone have eggs they want to send me? I'm going to give my broody another day and then I would like to set some eggs if I can get some (none of my SFH are laying yet). PM me if you've got some available.

Also, I have two cockerels I need to rehome or send to freezer camp. They are almost 5 months old. Here are their pictures... let me know if you've got a place I can home them to (I just don't need any more extra Roos right now).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've got a broody... anyone have eggs they want to send me? I'm going to give my broody another day and then I would like to set some eggs if I can get some (none of my SFH are laying yet). PM me if you've got some available.

Also, I have two cockerels I need to rehome or send to freezer camp. They are almost 5 months old. Here are their pictures... let me know if you've got a place I can home them to (I just don't need any more extra Roos right now).
Very handsome! I know someone who would take them, but she is in Indiana.
hmm.png
Try contacting a local 4H program. Sometimes they like them for the kids to show.

I sent you a PM.

if you're headed to sw Virginia any time soon, bring them on! but I can't afford to ship anyone right now...

I'm pretty sure I've got a broody... anyone have eggs they want to send me? I'm going to give my broody another day and then I would like to set some eggs if I can get some (none of my SFH are laying yet). PM me if you've got some available. Also, I have two cockerels I need to rehome or send to freezer camp. They are almost 5 months old. Here are their pictures... let me know if you've got a place I can home them to (I just don't need any more extra Roos right now).
Where are you?

Candled last night (shipped sfh eggs) don't want to jinx it but I saw 7 that were clearly alive as of when I looked, so fingers crossed I might hatch some in another couple weeks.

I have also 2 of my own that appear to be developing which would be pure sfh out of either of the 2 Roos over Daisy who hatched from a PapaBrooder of CA shipped egg.

& speaking of sfh Roos here is a delicate question--
These 2 Roos are very very very serious about their job, as in each one covering each girl about 2x per day that I see. This is way more than other types of Roos I have had so I'm feeling that I do not have enough hens in the flock for the 2 Roos in order to give the girls a break (feathers which were lovely in April are looking ratty etc.) so my question is _specifically for sfh_ what are ppl finding is the correct ratio of Roos:Hens (in a free range daily) situation. I have currently 2:6 which is way too few hens but what is the MAX ya'll are seeing Roo:hen to keep those eggs fertile?

Candled last night (shipped sfh eggs) don't want to jinx it but I saw 7 that were clearly alive as of when I looked, so fingers crossed I might hatch some in another couple weeks.

I have also 2 of my own that appear to be developing which would be pure sfh out of either of the 2 Roos over Daisy who hatched from a PapaBrooder of CA shipped egg.

These 2 Roos are very very very serious about their job, as in each one covering each girl about 2x per day that I see. This is way more than other types of Roos I have had so I'm feeling that I do not have enough hens in the flock for the 2 Roos in order to give the girls a break (feathers which were lovely in April are looking ratty etc.) so my question is _specifically for sfh_ what are ppl finding is the correct ratio of Roos:Hens (in a free range daily) situation. I have currently 2:6 which is way too few hens but what is the MAX ya'll are seeing Roo:hen to keep those eggs fertile?

Great news on the shipped eggs!
thumbsup.gif

I have 3:14 right now and fertility has been excellent. The youngest isn't allowed near the hens very often. I do plan on adding some more pullets when I can grow some up. I have 1 in quarantine who can come out anytime, but don't want her to be the ONLY one I add, so I'll wait for more. Eventually, I would like to have 25-30 hens and 4-5 roos.

Last edited:

My opinion is a minimum of 5 hens to 1 roo - and more hens if possible. I even have some extra EE's thrown in to balance the numbers. (I can always tell the EE eggs apart so I don't accidentally sell a mix breed hatching egg). Mace usually does best with 10 hens to himself - and fertility rates are eggcelent!
big_smile.png

My opinion is a minimum of 5 hens to 1 roo - and more hens if possible. I even have some extra EE's thrown in to balance the numbers. (I can always tell the EE eggs apart so I don't accidentally sell a mix breed hatching egg). Mace usually does best with 10 hens to himself - and fertility rates are eggcelent!
big_smile.png

Yes, that is how I have it set up now , known colored egg laying EE gals (4 atm) to fill in until I can get the sfh population up directly. Sadly my backup pen of EEs on the other side of the 30 acres took a preditor hit recently, so I'm down on grown out birds atm :( but the good news is the sfh coop will hold 20 birds no problem, so asap I will add more girls trying to get the total to 10 in there right away ie add 4 soonest even if they are place holder EEs. Then hopefully by fall I will have grown out a lovely crop of new sfh pullets to really make the flock.

Yes, that is how I have it set up now , known colored egg laying EE gals (4 atm) to fill in until I can get the sfh population up directly. Sadly my backup pen of EEs on the other side of the 30 acres took a preditor hit recently, so I'm down on grown out birds atm :( but the good news is the sfh coop will hold 20 birds no problem, so asap I will add more girls trying to get the total to 10 in there right away ie add 4 soonest even if they are place holder EEs. Then hopefully by fall I will have grown out a lovely crop of new sfh pullets to really make the flock.

Sorry to hear about your EE coop! Having a bachelor coop is also a great asset! The boys will work out their hierarchy and then tend to do just fine in their own group (as long as there are NO girls to fight over). This can buy you time to add more girls to your flock.

Back
Top Bottom