Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Thank you so much! The thing is that the big white ish one that you labeled was the first to hatch. And also a bit of a bully (maybe a roo) to the other chicks but sweet to us. It was one of the only ones we saw hatch and it did come from my friends Swedish flower egg and he only keeps Swedish Flowers. hmmmmm I thought the black and white one looked like a barred rock. We had one of them the last time we kept chickens (before a hawk incident left us chickenless) and we loved her. She was my favorite. Funny, though the farmer I got the two random eggs from doesn't have any barred rocks. :) MIxed bag of chickens I have here.

I have a question, does anyone have any knowledge of how and when chickens migrated to Scandinavia? And do the Finnish landraces have anything in common with the Swedish ones? I'm asking because we just picked up some Finnish Alho landrace pullets on Sunday, and I haven't found much reliable info from local sources on how chickens where introduced to our part of the world.

Here are our girls, not SFH, but (maybe) close.

I have a question, does anyone have any knowledge of how and when chickens migrated to Scandinavia? And do the Finnish landraces have anything in common with the Swedish ones? I'm asking because we just picked up some Finnish Alho landrace pullets on Sunday, and I haven't found much reliable info from local sources on how chickens where introduced to our part of the world.
Vehve - I sent you a message with some information on chickens in Scandinavia.
smile.png

Welcome to the Swedish Flower Hen thread!

Our stock is from GFF, 2013.

Now that we have some hatching and the eggs are bigger - I'd like to trade with someone to broaden our bloodlines.

I get 3 to 4 eggs a day and will be able to gather and ship in a 5 day span. The amount will be 12+ in eggs.

Our cockerels are not crested and only two of the females are crested. So crests are a lower possibility than in some flocks.

Please PM me if you are interested.

Some of our flock

I am getting my fist chicks from my SFH chickens I got last year.
Of course they are all adorable, but I find I am especially attracted to the
ones with the deep mahogany Mille fleur look. I can't remember what color chick down color
they had as youngsters. Can someone advise me? I want to be sure to put these chicks back for myself.
Diane in Texas

I am getting my fist chicks from my SFH chickens I got last year.
Of course they are all adorable, but I find I am especially attracted to the
ones with the deep mahogany Mille fleur look. I can't remember what color chick down color
they had as youngsters. Can someone advise me? I want to be sure to put these chicks back for myself.
Diane in Texas

This is how the black-based mille fleurs generally look as chicks.
big_smile.png

For Virginia Fanciers --- Sheldor, my 1 year old SFH cock needs to be rehomed. He is great with his hens and an excellent guardian to them. Ignores the dogs and cat, respectful of humans BUT I've discovered he needs to be in a breeding pen or the only rooster on the farm. He was second in command to my Basque rooster. When I sold the Basque, Sheldor became the only free-range rooster. I had planned to leave him in charge of layer flock. Now that my RIR cockerels have begun to crow, he goes after them with a vengeance. Attacking without provocation and not leaving them alone when they flee. Since I'm not breeding SFH I really can't spare a pen just for him so he must go. He's very pretty so before consigning him to the stewpot I'd like to give him a fair chance at a new home where he can be happy. He is a splash base with mottled red breast/coverts and no crest. Please send PM or email.

Back
Top Bottom