Swedish Flower Hen Thread

We now have 8 adorable SFH chicks. Thanks so much to Dr. Waltz. They made the trip to MA with no problem and have settled in very well. Looking forward to learning more about them as I see them grow and change.

For Virginia Fanciers --- Sheldor, my 1 year old SFH cock needs to be rehomed. He is great with his hens and an excellent guardian to them. Ignores the dogs and cat, respectful of humans BUT I've discovered he needs to be in a breeding pen or the only rooster on the farm. He was second in command to my Basque rooster. When I sold the Basque, Sheldor became the only free-range rooster. I had planned to leave him in charge of layer flock. Now that my RIR cockerels have begun to crow, he goes after them with a vengeance. Attacking without provocation and not leaving them alone when they flee. Since I'm not breeding SFH I really can't spare a pen just for him so he must go. He's very pretty so before consigning him to the stewpot I'd like to give him a fair chance at a new home where he can be happy. He is a splash base with mottled red breast/coverts and no crest. Please send PM or email.

do you have a picture of him for people to see? where did you get him from?

We now have 8 adorable SFH chicks. Thanks so much to Dr. Waltz. They made the trip to MA with no problem and have settled in very well. Looking forward to learning more about them as I see them grow and change.

welcome to the best addiction you can get. LOL and welcome to byc too.

Quote:

What she said!

thumbsup.gif

I've gotten 2 Eggs from Flo this week, & enough time has gone buy from the opps EE roo that I'm sure these are pure SFH,
but the BIG deal (besides she layed in the coop & I found them ;) is I kid you not they are the SAME SIZE as the eggs from my Bourbon Red Turkey hens!! I've been thinking they were jumbo, but not until today did I have them side by side and they were exactly the same size.
Best part is the DH now understands why I have been so insistently searching for where she has been hiding her eggs AND he can't complain now about the as yet unknown to him plan for me to get a few chicks from a different source than any of my current birds & eggs in bator .

Anyone else getting the literally Turkey egg size jumbo eggs?

I have 2 in the bator & am wondering how they will do ( so far the first 2 pure sfh rather small pullet eggs from Daisy quit early while once again the mutt EE eggs set beside them for comparison have hatched...sigh..well the mutt EE chicks did make a nice housewarming gift for the new neighbor who will not now be able to complain about our chickens.). and I WILL have my own sfh hatcher very soon I'm sure!

I was so bummed. Out of 20 eggs only 3 hatched. I've hatched out a LOT of chicks this year and that seemed unnecessarily poor. So this time I did an eggtopsy. Last time I had 4 of 8 hatch and those were shipped eggs. I expected better of farm eggs.

My first ever eggtopsy.
hit.gif
It was breathing!

ARE SFH typically a couple days late in hatching?

I should mention that my candler quit right before lock down. The eggs all looked full as per the regular flashlight but I can't see internal pips or even movement.

Obviously I quickly put all the eggs back in the bator although I'm sure there is little to no hope that any hatch. I was all set to bury them.

Back
Top Bottom