Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Here are a few pictures of Whitey and her clutch of 9 SFH's.

Wonderful!

I moved my broody last night, went well but based on what eggs I had at what stages I did not give her the sfh eggs. They are in the bator , including 2 of the giant "Flo" eggs at least 1 of which looked very well alive last night :) & speaking of I hear her right now, off to hunt for her egg (got another giant one in the coop yesterday) ...

looks like the first is possibly a pullet but the second is a crested cockerel.

OH NO! How can you tell on SF? I drove 50 miles to meet up with this lady and told her I HAD to have pullets. I traded her 3 Welsummer Pullets for her 2 SF. I am going to be very angry if they are males. I can usually tell the sex of chicks, but not ever having SF, I wasn't sure what to look for. Please let me know what you are basing your call on so I will know in the future. Thanks!

here's a pic I took yesterday of Momma and her brood. yes, they are ALL hers now, since the other momma quit. and she is FIERCE about protecting them.
SFH and bantam cochins

eta: I didn't manage to get them ALL in the pic. LOL but this is most of them.
Awesome!

Here are a few pictures of Whitey and her clutch of 9 SFH's.

Congrats!

Okay, this is a "Hail Mary Pass" request: This past Friday, the following post appeared on CraigsList-Austin:
http://austin.craigslist.org/grd/4519335010.html

I want to buy these two hens. Since the post appeared, I have tried emailing the seller several times using my work, home and gmail email addresses, but to no avail. No response at all. Now, the seller has dropped the price for the hens, which tells me that they didn't receive any of my emails. I have used CraigsList many times before and never had a problem. I would guess their spam filter is sifting out all CraigsList-related emails.

So, here's the Hail Mary: Does anybody have any idea who this seller in "North Austin" could be?

Thanks!

Okay, this is a "Hail Mary Pass" request: This past Friday, the following post appeared on CraigsList-Austin:
http://austin.craigslist.org/grd/4519335010.html

I want to buy these two hens. Since the post appeared, I have tried emailing the seller several times using my work, home and gmail email addresses, but to no avail. No response at all. Now, the seller has dropped the price for the hens, which tells me that they didn't receive any of my emails. I have used CraigsList many times before and never had a problem. I would guess their spam filter is sifting out all CraigsList-related emails.

So, here's the Hail Mary: Does anybody have any idea who this seller in "North Austin" could be?

Thanks!
I don't know who it is, but I would suggest you place an ad on craigslist asking them to contact you. Someone is bound to see it who knows them.

You want me to try and contact them for you? I live 2 hours from Austin but I could let them know someone is interested in their listing.

I wrote them and told them you had been trying to email them. I hope mine gets through so you can get these beautiful hens into your flock :D

Last edited:
you asked why I thought boy for the second one (can't really tell on the first, but they both might be crested)...
usually crested have a very small comb and this one's seems larger than normal for a crested, in my experience.
especially if they're under 8 weeks old.

here's my crested pullet that's about 12 weeks old for comparison.

here's a crested cockerel just starting to grow his crest, I'm guessing about the same age as yours.
the white chested one in the middle-top. a pullet to his left and bantam cochins otherwise.

Last edited:
you asked why I thought boy for the second one (can't really tell on the first, but they both might be crested)...
usually crested have a very small comb and this one's seems larger than normal for a crested, in my experience.
especially if they're under 8 weeks old.

here's my crested pullet that's about 12 weeks old for comparison.

here's a crested cockerel just starting to grow his crest, I'm guessing about the same age as yours.
the white chested one in the middle-top. a pullet to his left and bantam cochins otherwise.

So, you are looking at the crest and not the comb?

Back
Top Bottom