Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Leah's Mom,
Thank you for asking. My broody cuckoo maran is still sitting on the fertilized SFH eggs ... a week and a half now. Halfway there! My austalorp is also broody, but I haven't tried to break her yet because she's my back-up in case my maran abandons the clutch early.

Update on the continuing Olaf & Anna saga of "is Anna a pullet or cockerel." Most on this board concluded a couple of months ago that Anna was a cockerel. Now, I'm not so sure. They just turned five months old. You tell me.
ANNA:

OLAF:
Sorry, but Anna has saddle feathers. Sure sign of a roo.
hugs.gif

Anna's development has been so different from Olaf's. Olaf is now much larger than Anna, and he has distinctive hackles and saddle feathers, and much larger, longer wattles. In contrast, the feathers on Anna's neck and saddle look like all the other feathers on "her" body (not pointy; exact same color and appearance). It's interesting how two birds of the same age, breed, and gender can develop so differently.

Separate question: Whereas Anna is laid-back and willing to come right up to me, Olaf is stand-offish, and he squawks and runs whenever I lay a finger on him. He is by far the most nervous chicken in my flock. Is it possible that Olaf's large crest obscures his vision and makes him skittish?

Yes my crested one looks like a road runner lol. I actually have two crested but one is older and definitely a pullet. The crested that's pictured is a guessing game. A couple people including the breeder of the babies has said they all look like cockerels. I'm thinking better photos is in order so we can be double sure, but then again they're almost 2 months old so it might take another month or so for my crested baby to show its comb.

I am just sick!!!!
Sold 3 SFH pullets (3 mos) to a sweet family with 4 kids.
Apparently they let their 5 yr old carry one of the pullets around & the pullet ran into a cornfield.
They never found her :)
I hatched her & its hard to think that just 24 hrs shoo she was safe & sound with her sisters, and was most likely dinner some animals dinner lay night. *sigh*

I am just sick!!!!
Apparently they let their 5 yr old carry one of the pullets around & the pullet ran into a cornfield.
They never found her :)
I hatched her & its hard to think that just 24 hrs shoo she was safe & sound with her sisters, and was most likely dinner some animals dinner lay night. *sigh*
I sold six beautiful pullers that I had hatched and raised to 6 or 8 weeks. Not even a week later, they let their dog eat every single last one of them.

I am just sick!!!!
They never found her
smile.png

I sold six beautiful pullers that I had hatched and raised to 6 or 8 weeks. Not even a week later, they let their dog eat every single last one of them.

Oh I am so sorry for you both.. that would leave me sleepless....

hugs.gif
It is hard to lose such wonderful birds, even if you only had them for a short time. I was heartbroken when I gave a friend a couple of my extra SFH roos for flockwatchers and they both were killed by raccoons.
hit.gif
My daughter inquires of me on EVERY bird I sell if they are going to a good home and whether they plan to eat them.
big_smile.png
I don't really have a hard time letting go, but I do want them to go to good homes where they will be well taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom