Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Okay...the "eternal" what sex is it question.... Do you all still think my brown kiddo is female? (I have my doubts...) 8 Weeks old. More red and more wattle than the other 2 kiddos but... I looked back at my crested roo's photos at this age and his comb was much redder and much larger. Not sure how to compare on non-crested.
Here's my non-crested, about the same age as your brown.

Okay...the "eternal" what sex is it question....

Do you all still think my brown kiddo is female? (I have my doubts...) 8 Weeks old. More red and more wattle than the other 2 kiddos but... I looked back at my crested roo's photos at this age and his comb was much redder and much larger. Not sure how to compare on non-crested.

I say Pullet. By 8 weeks cockerels tend to be much more obvious.
big_smile.png

Who's ready for broody SFH photos??

Hermione and Ali hatched their chicks yesterday - 2 each!

Mooooomm! What are you doing?

And now Marta has gone broody. I have 10-ish Isbar eggs due to hatch next Tuesday... and I think I might put them under Marta.

lol.png

The red is suspect, but these aren't really the type of chickens that follow that rule right? Or does bright red on the wing/breast indicate testosterone linked genetics?

yes, typically the appearance of mahogany feathers does indicate a cockerel. occasionally you might find a line that carries the mahogany gene, but usually it's testosterone-enhanced.

the only pullet I ever had that showed the mahogany turned out to be a production red x sfh cross.

Back
Top Bottom