Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hello everyone!
Just joined BYC today. I´ve been reading this thread for a while, and have learned so much! Thank you to all of you who have posted such useful Information. My first Swedish flower hens hatched the end of March, and they are definetely my favorite breed so far. Twelve hatched, and they all look completely different from one another- I just love the variety. They are also the tamest chickens I´ve had so far, and so curious! Here are some pics (sorry, some of my Brahma got in a couple of shots):

Hello everyone!
Just joined BYC today. I´ve been reading this thread for a while, and have learned so much! Thank you to all of you who have posted such useful Information. My first Swedish flower hens hatched the end of March, and they are definetely my favorite breed so far. Twelve hatched, and they all look completely different from one another- I just love the variety. They are also the tamest chickens I´ve had so far, and so curious! Here are some pics (sorry, some of my Brahma got in a couple of shots):

Welcome! What a beautiful group! The diversity of color and temperament is what got me hooked on this breed!

Hatch Day! First peek at the SFH chicks hatched this morning under my broody cuckoo maran. I've seen three so far: a dark one, a yellow one, and a yellow & brown one.
wee.gif

Yay!!!!! So glad to hear they're hatching!!!!!! :D

Day 2 update: Here's a pic of the chicks (some of them) on their first venture out of the hutch with momma today. Nine chicks. Only two of the eggs were duds, which I have now removed from the nest. Question: Will momma lead the chicks to the chick waterers and feeders?

Yes! If she's a good mamma she'll not only lead them but she'll tell them to get over there and eat!

Seriously, it's amazing how the mammas communicate with them. If a piece of food...say a bug or what not... is too large for them she'll break it up and give it to them in a way they can eat it.

You'll love watching them!

Edited to fix typo.

Last edited:
Yes! If she's a good mamma she'll not only lead them but she'll tell them to get over there and eat! 

Seriously, it's amazing how the mammas communicate with them.  If a piece of food...say a but or what not... is too large for them she'll break it up and give it to them in a way they can eat it. 

You'll love watching them!
this is the kind of thing I did with my first babies, I had nothing better to do! Now those two come over like a shot when I call "chook, chook, chook" because they know it means "get over here!"

Back
Top Bottom