Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Who wants to see the coop I built just for my Swedish Flower Hens?
big_smile.png

Here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pepparkakor-h-nshus-gingerbread-henhouse

I am totally impressed. Mine live in a pallet house (4 x 8 and 7 feet tall so it's big enough) with zero gingerbread. You have obviously spent a lot of time and effort making the Swede's home perfect. It is absolutely lovely! You should enter it into coop photo contests, you'd win prizes :)

Fabulous! That's how I want to show a bird too - straight from the run :) Hooray for a win and for having the nerve to try! I've been afraid my ignorance would hold me back. I guess it has.
wink.png
Really, we ought to be taking our lovely girls to shows so people can see them. I guess not very many people have SFH? I know they are rare but I really expected to find more people breeding them.
Seems to be a lot of us out there....lol.....I laugh to myself sometimes when wondering if a rare breed isn't so rare any more by checking GFF's website, and watching the price of the chicks go down. That's when I realize a breed has caught on, and more and more people are owning them. I am sure you are right though,, not too many of them in shows I would imagine I want to try and go to a serious level poultry show just to observe, and take in what it's about.

frow.gif
MB

So you could have knocked me over with a feather when the announced who won Champion Pullet!!

We got a blue ribbon (to the left) a blue rosette, a trophy AND a money prize!

This was SO not what I was expecting! But I'm NOT complaining!

It's the lacto-fermented feed. I just know it. And "natural chicken keeping" principles. :D

Hope the $$ will help you toward finishing that coop!

Congratulations x 2! Greta AND the Gingerbread Coop! Two beauties! You are obviously multi talented AND humble. What a wonderful page in your book of life this is.
smile.png

The coop is looking absolutely yummy! Makes me want to go bake some gingerbread cookies.
roll.png
I like the extra ventilation windows you added too.

And who knew, maybe a "non standardized breed" is gaining acceptance? Did you get a chance to talk to the judges at all? You might just have to go back next year now, lol.

thumbsup.gif
Fabulous! That's how I want to show a bird too - straight from the run :) Hooray for a win and for having the nerve to try! I've been afraid my ignorance would hold me back. I guess it has.
wink.png
Really, we ought to be taking our lovely girls to shows so people can see them. I guess not very many people have SFH? I know they are rare but I really expected to find more people breeding them.

I think there is a lot to be said for exposure for the breed. Even if they don't win anything, getting the publicity and introducing them to more people is a wonderful thing. Greta got lots of interest from the public yesterday!

I am totally impressed. Mine live in a pallet house (4 x 8 and 7 feet tall so it's big enough) with zero gingerbread. You have obviously spent a lot of time and effort making the Swede's home perfect. It is absolutely lovely! You should enter it into coop photo contests, you'd win prizes :)
Thank you for such a lovely compliment! There is NOTHING wrong with a pallet house! I commend you for repurposing and recycling pallets into a home for your birds!
thumbsup.gif

It's the lacto-fermented feed. I just know it. And "natural chicken keeping" principles. :D

Hope the $$ will help you toward finishing that coop!

Of course it is! Here are pictures (chicken glamor shots!) I took today - it was really hard to get good photos last night because it was... night. The light wasn't that great. So I did some recreation photos for fun and to give Greta her well-deserved 15 minutes of fame. LOL! Look at that green sheen in her feathers!

Okay...now you have to call the fair board and ask how you can contact the judges. Be sure to tell them you won (so they know you're not calling to harass them) and maybe you can talk to them. They'll probably ask you to leave your number so they can call you if they want to. I'd love to hear their comments :D

Okay...now you have to call the fair board and ask how you can contact the judges.  Be sure to tell them you won (so they know you're not calling to  harass them) and maybe you can talk to them.  They'll probably ask you to leave your number so they can call you if they want to.  I'd love to hear their comments :D
perhaps a message like "I'd like to hear your thoughts on sweetish flower hens" and your name and phone number. I'm sure no matter what you say, they'll still be a bit suspicious.

Bulldogma-
Greta is beautiful; congratulations on a well-deserved win! I have a pullet that looks similar to her, and she´s my favorite (hoping she´ll have a lot of pretty babies next year). There´s a local poultry show here every year in April. After hearing your story, I feel a little more courageous about maybe showing some of my birds, too. And I love your coop!

Bulldogma-
Greta is beautiful; congratulations on a well-deserved win! I have a pullet that looks similar to her, and she´s my favorite (hoping she´ll have a lot of pretty babies next year). There´s a local poultry show here every year in April. After hearing your story, I feel a little more courageous about maybe showing some of my birds, too. And I love your coop!

Thank you! And you should definitely try taking birds to the show.
smile.png

My dear husband listened to my discussion about the Cocci in the sand vs un/medicated feed in the broody pen problem. After tossing around some ideas we came up with a solution that he implemented today. The broody pen was designed to be divided up into sections as needed. We'll have fixed sections now but that is okay. He made a floor - platform style. It is up off the ground about 3 inches and made of that 1/2" wire on a frame. The bedding is on top of that. When it gets deep we can scoop it off and remove the floor to hose it off and won't have any rotting wood under the shavings.

This section of the broody is pen is about 4' square. Here is the little chicks in their new home. Well same home but with new flooring and he added the metal flashing too. It reflects the heat. They are all in the corner with the most flashing so they must like it!

Hopefully this new floor will reduce - if not eliminate uncontrolled exposure to Cocci. This way I can inoculate them with small batches of weeds/dirt as they get older. We've also switched back to unmedicated feed. This should go a long way towards stopping the SFH chick death.

My dear husband listened to my discussion about the Cocci in the sand vs un/medicated feed in the broody pen problem. After tossing around some ideas we came up with a solution that he implemented today. The broody pen was designed to be divided up into sections as needed. We'll have fixed sections now but that is okay. He made a floor - platform style. It is up off the ground about 3 inches and made of that 1/2" wire on a frame. The bedding is on top of that. When it gets deep we can scoop it off and remove the floor to hose it off and won't have any rotting wood under the shavings.

This section of the broody is pen is about 4' square. Here is the little chicks in their new home. Well same home but with new flooring and he added the metal flashing too. It reflects the heat. They are all in the corner with the most flashing so they must like it!

Hopefully this new floor will reduce - if not eliminate uncontrolled exposure to Cocci. This way I can inoculate them with small batches of weeds/dirt as they get older. We've also switched back to unmedicated feed. This should go a long way towards stopping the SFH chick death.

Please keep us updated on this. I think we will all want to know the outcome and how it works for you after having had so much trouble.

Back
Top Bottom