Swedish Flower Hen Thread

They were sold to me from a farm in alpine california. Both birds look very different to me but they were sold as "swedish flower hens" at 3 weeks old. Can swedish flowers be rumpless? It definitely is. All babies turned out to be cockerels and when I asked to use "cockerel" credit the lady said she had moved and had only a very expensive pair of auracaunas left...

Here is a better pic

They were sold to me from a farm in alpine california. Both birds look very different to me but they were sold as "swedish flower hens" at 3 weeks old. Can swedish flowers be rumpless? It definitely is. All babies turned out to be cockerels and when I asked to use "cockerel" credit the lady said she had moved and had only a very expensive pair of auracaunas left...
Do you have a better picture of the comb on the rumpless one? I can't tell from the picture if it is a standard single comb. But considering the chick is rumpless and the lady you got him from has Araucanas, I would say it is a mix. It would fit his type.

They do go in when its raining or snowing but other than that they prefer to perch outside. It was in the single digits last night and I thought they'd choose to go in but nope...they didn't want to be disturbed tonight either. Someone needs to explain to them that its winter! Guess they'll know when it gets too cold....

Hi again, all! With my Sebastian apparently from a Bothell, WA farm that probably got birds from Greenfire and Sassysmom's hens directly from Greenfire...what inbreeding issues am I looking for? I know about excessive crests, split wing and the comb issue. Anything else that isn't a common chicken fault like tail spread too small and toes (extra or bumble foot)?

Sebastian welcomed his new ladies pretty darn enthusiastically and I'm realizing this new breed may start breeding sooner rather than later!

Okay so my two solid yellow chicks have gray and red coming in on their wing feathers. Now I'm super curious to see what they'll look like!

I just saw that you posted here about your hatch! Sometimes I just get too busy to be on the forum. How are they doing now, any new pictures? I just hatched a whole bunch of yellow SF chicks (and two brown/red ones) this week, and the week before I hatched two black and white ones, so it is always a surprise with this breed!
Here are the ones from this week's hatch, plus some Cream Legbars and a single duckling that will forever think she is a chicken:

Last week's black chicks:

I hope your three are doing well, I'm sorry the others didn't hatch...

I just saw that you posted here about your hatch! Sometimes I just get too busy to be on the forum. How are they doing now, any new pictures? I just hatched a whole bunch of yellow SF chicks (and two brown/red ones) this week, and the week before I hatched two black and white ones, so it is always a surprise with this breed!
Here are the ones from this week's hatch, plus some Cream Legbars and a single duckling that will forever think she is a chicken:

Last week's black chicks:

I hope your three are doing well, I'm sorry the others didn't hatch...

Awww look at them all! So cute! Here are my three (plus a Dominique):

The two "yellow" chicks look pretty identical with one being slightly lighter than the other. They've also started to get some dark feathers right on top of their heads. I can't wait to see what they look like all grown up. Have you had any with this color pattern? I agree that this breed is so much fun because of all the possible colors. They're like the chicken equivalent of Kinder Surprise eggs. :)

The black and white in the back is looking just like the roo I hatched this summer. I love the "eyeliner" on them. Maybe I'll get a spotted girl this time, fingers crossed.

And yeah, I feel bad about the three that didn't hatch. They made it all the way to hatch day but I think they had lost too much moisture to make it out. I just didn't realize how dry the house would get with the furnace on all the time. Lesson learned, I'll pay much closer attention to humidity next time for sure.

Back
Top Bottom