Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Outside of the barring, do you think this rooster has the shape and stance of a SFH?

Regardless, I did put him up for sale today in our local classified.

He is such a magnificent, proud animal - very full of himself, too. :)

I was told he was just like the other SFH that were at GFF's, so it is just hard to know what to think.

I once received 7 SFH chicks who were 2nd generation from GFF. All but one were beautiful mixed colors of standard SFH phenotypes. The odd one out was a blue and white barred pullet. When I contacted the person who gave her to me, she confirmed that the mother hen was directly from GFF. The pullet looked just like a Barred Rock with bright yellow legs and the classic SFH comb and waddles.

It's a rare color morph and very undesirable. Even if it is 100% SFH, this is not the phenotype (or genotype) that you hope for from this breed. I'll try to dig up my picture of her.

He looks to me like a mix of SFH and Cream Legbar. That's just a guess off of what breeds GFF offers. No expertise here, though

Last edited:
There's no barring at all on my SFH roo. You can see similarities to your guy in the face, though.

Outside of the barring, do you think this rooster has the shape and stance of a SFH?

Regardless, I did put him up for sale today in our local classified.

He is such a magnificent, proud animal - very full of himself, too. :)

I was told he was just like the other SFH that were at GFF's, so it is just hard to know what to think.

Hello again,
never wanted to start all this trouble, but I thought it was important to question his "qualifications" as a breeding sfh roo. A lot of people out here have Bielefelder, and to be honest, when I first saw your pic, I thought he looked like a mix between a Bielefelder and a sfh. I saw that Greenfire farms has Bielefelder- maybe one of those got mixed in? I guess you´ll never know.
To reiterate what everyone else has said, I´ve never seen barring on a sfh before, either. I was lucky enough to visit Sweden in May and got to see some sfh there- they were HUGE (even bigger than the Brahma I used to have) and had beautiful flowering. Mine are all medium size, so I had to ask myself, too, if somewhere along the way some other chickens got into the bloodline before I started with them. I tried to find the people responsible for the chickens to ask if I could buy some eggs, but I couldn´t find anyone so went home empty handed (my husband joked that I just go into the coup and take some eggs- I was tempted!). I´ve tried getting hatching eggs shipped from Sweden before, but haven´t had any luck yet. Someone told me that breeders in Sweden have a special agreement with a breeder in the U.S. to not sell eggs or birds to anyone but them. Don´t know how true that is.... (urban legend?)

Awesome post. thx. Would love to hear more about this if ever you have the time or inclination.
Strange thing is I had this wild thought when looking at him wondering if SFH were related to
Bielevelders along the way! I cast that aside because I am so new to chickens and especially the SFH's.
So I really perked up when I read your post. :)
I have bred dogs for conformation the last 40 yrs and also into breeding show quality cats, so I have
developed some sort of eye for any breed. Thank you again!

Someone told me that breeders in Sweden have a special agreement with a breeder in the U.S. to not sell eggs or birds to anyone but them. Don´t know how true that is.... (urban legend?)
I live in Sweden and I've never heard of such an agreement. However, the genebank doesn't exactly encourage the export of birds or eggs. If a genebank breeder sells eggs, the birds that hatch won't be genebank birds. Only chicks that are at least 8 weeks can be sold as genebank birds. I do think it would be possible to get eggs from Sweden. As long as the breeder doesn't claim that the eggs or chicks are genebank stock, it doesn't really do any damage to the preservation of the landrace in Sweden. And there are surely breeders in Sweden that have Blommehöns but who have not registered their birds with the genebank. If you're coming back looking for eggs, my advice would be to look for breeders in Skåne since that's where the landrace is most common. Good luck!
jumpy.gif

It's been neat watching my two black and yellow chicks feather out and change! I was a bigger fan of the greyer one at first, but dislike how heavy his comb and wattles are looking at such a young age. We'll see! They still have a lot of growing to do. Here's an shot from a couple weeks ago (of the darker one) that shows how super colorful these guys are:

He couldn't decide what color he wanted to be, so he just tried them all :p

Back
Top Bottom