Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I'm so excited, and also so disappointed ! We got 32eggs shipped to is the beginning of April. Aircells were split in quite a few of them. My friend with the incubator let them settle for 2 days then put them in the incubator. Of the 32,10 developed. 6 pipped yesterday, and as of today 2 have hatched. I was really hoping for more than that, but I will have to be happy with what I get. I think next time I'll order live chicks from GFF. It's not nearly expensive as I thought when I looked at the prove of hatching eggs and the hatch Rate we've gotten. Those 2 chicks have now cost me over $60 each!

Thank you!who else on here has live chicks for sale in maybe June? I just wrapped all my money in shipping my husband out for a work trip for the summer so we won't have any disposable income again until the beginning of june. I really have my heart set on SFH and maybe some Marans for color diversity in my eggs.

I am in Ohio & could do a hatch for you in June. Just let me know.

I'm so excited, and also so disappointed ! We got 32eggs shipped to is the beginning of April. Aircells were split in quite a few of them. My friend with the incubator let them settle for 2 days then put them in the incubator. Of the 32,10 developed. 6 pipped yesterday, and as of today 2 have hatched. I was really hoping for more than that, but I will have to be happy with what I get. I think next time I'll order live chicks from GFF. It's not nearly expensive as I thought when I looked at the prove of hatching eggs and the hatch Rate we've gotten. Those 2 chicks have now cost me over $60 each!

If you can get live chicks it's usually better then eggs. I have had most of my eggs from shipping develope until hatch then die before piping because of malpositions. I also got SFH eggs from different breeders from different states. Another breed was included in one of the orders. The SFH eggs from both groups did not do well. I had a lot that never started or quit early. I got no SFH eggs to hatch from the breeder that I got the other breed from. But the other breed did great and they were shipped in the same box. I wonder if SFH eggs just don't do well in shipping. I got 5 out of 17 from the other breeder and they came from 3 hours away.

If you can get live chicks it's usually better then eggs. I have had most of my eggs from shipping develope until hatch then die before piping because of malpositions. I also got SFH eggs from different breeders from different states. Another breed was included in one of the orders. The SFH eggs from both groups did not do well. I had a lot that never started or quit early. I got no SFH eggs to hatch from the breeder that I got the other breed from. But the other breed did great and they were shipped in the same box. I wonder if SFH eggs just don't do well in shipping. I got 5 out of 17 from the other breeder and they came from 3 hours away.

SFH eggs can be tricky to hatch. I just had 12 hatch from 18 shipped eggs. I was very happy. I let me shipped eggs sit for 48 hours.
I have found the dry hatch method works best for me. I keep the humidity between 30-35% during incubation. At lockdown I increase the humidity to 60-65%.

I too prefer the method you described, I just found it odd that the eggs never started or quit early. I am assuming trauma from shipping as I hatched other eggs in the same bat or at the same time and they were fine.

Here he (?) is...the rare Crested Dark Brown Leghorn Swedish Flower Hen. It's kinda cute. [/quote] He looks just like a SFH, but you know the truth, lol. He is looking kind of boyish, too, but very gorgeous. I mean, look at those nice legs!

Back
Top Bottom