Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Our Swedish Flower Hen chicks are one week old today. The last one hatched 48hrs after all her siblings - despite being set at the same time. Of the 10 chicks, I can *almost* say that only 2 are pullets. Although different breeds do exhibit different characteristics, so perhaps my estimation is premature! :fl It'd be nice to not have so many cockerals growing out here this year. They get rather, um, noisy.

For our Black Java flock - the pullets are really, really vocal. Can hear them through walls. Piercing, loud chirps. The cockerals obtain tail feathers first (before their sisters do) and generally trill to chirp. They'll also answer to trills you make by 'charging' towards you to check out what you are. So those are some of my clues as to who is which gender - even at a week old.

So what have you noticed about Swedish Flower Hen chicks to help you determine who's what gender? Short of waiting for crowing...!

A66D5FF1-670E-4513-A507-D574BD26C05B.jpeg
8C9A5C67-7DC5-43BE-B95B-DA04D8C20574.jpeg
I am SO happy with my latest hatch! I have Swedish Flower Hens to share!

Quick question, at what age could most you identify crested SFH chicks from the non-crested? I'm on my second batch of chicks that are now a bit over 3 weeks, but only 1 might, very slightly have what might be the slightest hint of a crest. Out of nearly 20 chicks from two breeders (3rd batch in the bator), not one other crested yet :(

Back
Top Bottom