Swedish Flower Hen Thread

6CC0E16E-1007-42CD-8C0C-E419127DC993.jpeg
EA44313B-BABB-484A-A4CF-7D115890AFB1.jpeg
B258F55D-E4B5-42BC-BE2D-FC61A0B0A76A.jpeg
1966FA2C-99E9-45C8-A5C9-FD1826D91AE9.jpeg
44F76FFD-0C89-4B20-B4B3-87AB1CD5FDC6.jpeg
EFCE4884-BB7B-472A-8C15-7D72782C0550.jpeg
6F8DC59F-1F4F-4271-A640-891885A55954.jpeg
I love these guys!! Granted I am very, VERY new to chicken keeping but these littles are so friendly. I needed 1 more chicken to round out my backyard flock of 4.... so I won an auction for 10 Swedish Flower Hen chicks, plus extras and it was BOGO. 24 chicks later I sold 3 groups of 6 locally, lost 2 and we kept 4. Here are mine at 6 weeks. Did I manage to keep 4 pullets?!?!?!? 1st pic is one bird, all pics after that and 2 per bird. Let me know what you think!! The last one is the inly one with yellow legs and comb? All others have like flesh colored.

Hi all - have not been on for a while but I’m seeking opinions about our hens... they’re not laying this year!
Last year we had more eggs than we could handle. This year we only had one hen laying eggs and now she’s gone broody.
The hens are about 2 years old. Same food, lots of fresh water, meal worm treats and kitchen scraps. We did add more chickens to our flock (more Swedish flower hens) but it was months ago and they are almost fully grown.

I love these guys!! Granted I am very, VERY new to chicken keeping but these littles are so friendly. I needed 1 more chicken to round out my backyard flock of 4.... so I won an auction for 10 Swedish Flower Hen chicks, plus extras and it was BOGO. 24 chicks later I sold 3 groups of 6 locally, lost 2 and we kept 4. Here are mine at 6 weeks. Did I manage to keep 4 pullets?!?!?!? 1st pic is one bird, all pics after that and 2 per bird. Let me know what you think!! The last one is the inly one with yellow legs and comb? All others have like flesh colored.

Congrats on a great win on an auction!
This breed is very tricky to guess the gender. Best way I know of is to see if the hackle feathers are pointy or round. (Those are the neck feathers). Pointy is male.
Rounded are female.
Hope this helps!

Congrats on a great win on an auction!
This breed is very tricky to guess the gender. Best way I know of is to see if the hackle feathers are pointy or round. (Those are the neck feathers). Pointy is male.
Rounded are female.
Hope this helps!
Darn it. I was hoping I could tell with combs. I guess we’ll keep waiting and loving them. We just had to rehome our Salmon Faverolle cockerels and that was so hard to do!!!

View attachment 1452761 View attachment 1452744 View attachment 1452743 View attachment 1452746 View attachment 1452745 View attachment 1452740 View attachment 1452741 I love these guys!! Granted I am very, VERY new to chicken keeping but these littles are so friendly. I needed 1 more chicken to round out my backyard flock of 4.... so I won an auction for 10 Swedish Flower Hen chicks, plus extras and it was BOGO. 24 chicks later I sold 3 groups of 6 locally, lost 2 and we kept 4. Here are mine at 6 weeks. Did I manage to keep 4 pullets?!?!?!? 1st pic is one bird, all pics after that and 2 per bird. Let me know what you think!! The last one is the inly one with yellow legs and comb? All others have like flesh colored.

Our roosters have yellow legs and hens have cream colored. I don’t know if this always holds true! The combs with hens can vary. Our older hens do have a sizable red comb but our newer hens do not. (Just variation within the breed).

This is Elsa, my 9-week old flower hen. She has yellow feet and beak, but her hackle feathers look rounded to me. She is the leader of the group, but exhibits "hen behavior," although that is not always true according to other posts I've read. I'm hoping she remains an Elsa, and not an Elmer!
Elsa.png

This is Elsa, my 9-week old flower hen. She has yellow feet and beak, but her hackle feathers look rounded to me. She is the leader of the group, but exhibits "hen behavior," although that is not always true according to other posts I've read. I'm hoping she remains an Elsa, and not an Elmer!
View attachment 1454089
Elsa’s tail feathers are looking pretty long already too so she might be an Elmer :) we have 3 roosters out of our recent chicks and the 3rd took the longest to look for sure like a rooster.
I’m interested to hear from other’s if it holds true that only roosters have yellow legs

Oh, no! I didn't know about the tail feather thing! I have two Easter Eggers the same age (9 weeks), and one has a huge tail-bigger than Elsa's. With only 5 chicks in my flock, I sure hope 2 aren't males!

Oh, no! I didn't know about the tail feather thing! I have two Easter Eggers the same age (9 weeks), and one has a huge tail-bigger than Elsa's. With only 5 chicks in my flock, I sure hope 2 aren't males!
It’s hard to say until they get a bit older. Out of our new additions we ended up with more roosters than hens :/

Back
Top Bottom