Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Quote:
I know greenfire has several different bloodlines already. When I got my rooster and hens they came with red, blue and yellow leg bands. When I asked what the colors represented they told me it was to keep track of their different bloodlines.

Quote:
Who'd you get your birds from? Some of us have gotten birds directly from GF, others that purchased birds from GF last year. Technically then, we've all gotten them from the same source, either directly or indirectly. That's because GF is the only importer of this bird. I suppose that could change down the road if there is another importer or if GF decides to import more in the future. I think it's nice to have a diverse flock because it keeps you guessing on color pattern. I plan on trading eggs with those who have birds from a different source than mine. This won't make things terrifically diverse, but it widens the gene pool a hair. Really all we can do right now.

Hope you get to feeling better.,
KKH

Quote:
I know greenfire has several different bloodlines already. When I got my rooster and hens they came with red, blue and yellow leg bands. When I asked what the colors represented they told me it was to keep track of their different bloodlines.

GF sounds dedicated to preserving this fowl. I would like to start a registry somehow of those of us here interested in breeding this bird to help preserve it in this country. It would be nice to know the source(s) when trying to decide to diversify one's flock down the road. Anyone interested in this concept?

Quote:

GF sounds dedicated to preserving this fowl. I would like to start a registry somehow of those of us here interested in breeding this bird to help preserve it in this country. It would be nice to know the source(s) when trying to decide to diversify one's flock down the road. Anyone interested in this concept?

I think this is a good idea. I got mine from Jon Burton (very nice) in NC. Wish I was there right now. It's so cold here.
sad.png
He only states that he got his from GF but I'm not sure when. I wanted to get them from him anyhow since he's closer to NY and I favor NC. I have family there.
lol.png

Now my plan is not to sell roos. Only pullets which means I have to grow them out first.

I received a newsletter from GF that says they've imported further lines for their Legbars and wonder if they do the same for SFH's and the other breeds they sell. If they have a new line for the SFH's I may order some chicks to add to these. At a later time of course. I would have sooner but couldn't get anyone in NY to go in with me for an order.

To my knowledge the only ones selling hatching eggs or chicks other than GF is John B. and Duemig10 (Michele). I would assume that they were one of the first to order chicks when GF first offered them to the public. I would then assume that the rest of us have 2nd generation birds if bought from those two sources. I suppose the buyer could inquire at GF as to whether or not they purchased the birds from the 1st generation hatch or a 2nd generation hatch. I believe they try to diversify their shipments which is very nice.

Quote:
I have seen at least 10 different people selling SFH eggs on eBay in the past couple months including, I think, both of the people mentioned above. ( ray_32690 , sgillisdoc , chickeneggs123 , bulletproffbaby2 , aandjsfarm , mprincess70 , hootie159 , just_only_me , wildhorsefarms , burtonjon1 ) It looks like all of them are good sellers.

Back
Top Bottom