Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I might later after I figure out what I have. I finally got the chicks I ordered about 6 months ago. Of the 5 survivors it looks like just one is red and white. They were shipped several weeks old for some reason.
Don't have time to go back through the thread- but was there ever a conclusion to the crooked toe issue?   I'm not planning to breed or sell these or anything- just for yard candy, but I don't want to make a bunch of poor quality chicks if I do chose to hatch something down the road. 
Thanks!   

p.s. I have a little chocolate-looking roo. Anybody know what these feather in like? I didn't get to see them as babies, so its even more confusing.
Here's my chocolate colored roo. In the first pic he's in the bottom left corner of the frame.

Oooooh wow! What a hunk. I will try to get pics of my little dude. He's kinda bald on his wings, but already has a big red comb.

So they really get thier crests later? I am so used to polish and silkies with that vault.

Ok- got the little guy out to take pics, and unfortunately I discovered he's got split wing. So, maybe I am down to 3 chicks that are not culls.....

I guess another forever roo isn't completely out of the question. Poor little dude is so cute.

Reply to Golden Feather: We're in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont up in New England. We're in the short hills in amongst three ski areas: Burke Mtn, Stowe and Jay. There are cold pockets here that can still get a frost as late as June 10th and then in the Fall as early as Labor Day. We can count on a 90 day growing season, but anything earlier or later is extended by techniques like greenhouses in Spring and floating covers in the Fall. It is usually tied to the Full Moon of those months. Watch the weather reports and take appropriate actions if its' gonna be cold. Also in this area if the weatherpeople mention the possibility of precipitation, well, we're gonna' get some!! We are also the home to the Center for Northern Studies: there is an area here that is actually an arctic belt: many of the same plants exist as grow in the high arctic; and since we're much more accessible they study them here. Neat, huh? Also it is a belt that gets really deep snow most years. Not the most hospitable place to try to garden but my Gram used to say
Who puts a seed Beneath the sod And waits to see Believes in God. I'm not particularly religious, but it is really something to consider that "From little acorns; mighty oaks may grow." Neat, heh? I never seem to get tired of it. And we get a nice long winter in which to study seed catalogues and plan nect years' adventure!!

Ok- got the little guy out to take pics, and unfortunately I discovered he's got split wing. So, maybe I am down to 3 chicks that are not culls.....

I guess another forever roo isn't completely out of the question. Poor little dude is so cute.

Amy, he does look Chocolate. Or Dun maybe? I would hang on to that one and grow him out just to see what he ends up like.

On crooked toes... sometimes it is genetic, inbreeding does this. HOWEVER, I have found that mean roos get crooked toes later. I have had some of my meanest roosters start showing aggression and then get crooked toes. I think they just flog and break them. There is nothing anyone can say to make me think different on that one. I have seen it far too many times... straight toes, puberty, attitude, crooked toes. In that order.

Also, if incubation temps are just a bit high, you'll get leg and toe issues.

So in my opinion, if you KNOW your temps were right, and so far this bird hasn't flogged or been charging you or anything else.... it's probrably a sign of inbreeding. If GF is importing more bloodlines into the US, they are still "GF" or "Bradshaw" lines to us in the US... but genetically should be more diverse.

That said, most often the most celebrated lines in any breed are the ones that are line bred for years... sometimes decades. If you are like me and have tried some of these lines, you know they are less than hardy, have leg and foot issues, hatching issues (due to the legs being deformed and weak), often short beaks, but darn do the survivors look good. (ha) Since the SFH has no set color pattern standard... or even a SOP in the US at all... the biggest pressure is to make sure the fittest birds go on to breed. If all your birds are equal in health except for one crooked toe... maybe a pet flock would be a good idea. A place for the less than stellar, but not exactly stew worthy birds to go.

I know I promised a pic of the red and white pullet today. I'm sorry. I had a nosebleed for hours and had to get medical treatment for it. I'm ok. I got really tired with my "rhino blast" tampon up my nose. I slept up until about 12:30... uh oh! Someone's sleep is messed up now. lol

I'm ok, but I didn't get to get the picture. I'll have it tommorrow. I may even have a older one on here from when I was trying to get the pic of the cockerel I have since sold.

Yup, I did... she is the one dead center of the pic. As you can see, there were 4... the cockerel and the girl to the left are at their new homes. The female you barely see in the back has alot of grey and a crest, so I'm keeping her.... and then there is the red and white girl in question.

Then there are three bantam Barnevelder pullets (I got REALLY lucky there), a XW (Thompson) line BR cockerel, and a project pullet. Someone want a BR? LOL!!!!!

ETA: this pic was taken 5/15/12 so I'm still gonna get a new one. ;)

Last edited:
Took some pics of our SFHs today. Thought I would share some of the pics. Sorry if there are too many but I could not choose. We also have a black and a bluish hen, but they are broody so not in this pen.

Back
Top Bottom