Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Interesting, do you have a link to this info?
Here's something on the crested birds skull. It uses the Silky & Polish to demonstrate, but all crested birds can be put under this category. I don't know if SFH's are more susceptible to more extreme cases or not, but wonder why so many in Sweden bred against this trait. There is a link with pictures, very interesting:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/l/a/lah161/research.html

Last edited:
Here's something on the crested birds skull. It uses the Silky & Polish to demonstrate, but all crested birds can be put under this category. I don't know if SFH's are more susceptible to more extreme cases or not, but wonder why so many in Sweden bred against this trait. There is a link with pictures, very interesting:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/l/a/lah161/research.html
If the Swedish are actually breeding against the trait (chickens with 2 crested genes) I suspect it is because a chicken with a extra large crest is not a bird you'd expect to live long free-ranging. The Swedish people seem very practical and have created a practical bird-good layer who blends in really well. Sounds like a few people doing controlled experiments with this would be a good thing-otherwise we may be just operating on rumors. I do not want to see the Swedish Flowers become a huge crested breed, but could see eventually running a flock with a uncrested over the normal small crested and a flock with a double-gene crested roo over uncrested for a chick ratio of 75% small crested.

Both born 29 June 2012, my first !!!
So cute...
hugs.gif
Cant wait for my next batch to hatch....Thanks for sharing the picture
smile.png

I had 3 SFH's hatch on Easter and have just loved watching them grow and develop. I always thought they were all girls but now I'm wondering.

I would really appreciate any opinions....

Here is "Yellow"

4589b6e6-e117-a4ad.jpg

4589b6e6-e12c-c71b.jpg

Blue

4589b6e6-e157-97d3.jpg

4589b6e6-e169-035c.jpg

Green

4589b6e6-e17f-625c.jpg

4589b6e6-e18b-f7a4.jpg

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom