Swedish Flower Hen Thread

this is a pic of someone's hen on here that i copied and pasted, i hope you don't mind. but i have a "supposed basque hen" that looks exactly like this! i will put my hen at the bottom. she is 5 months old and is not laying yet. i got them from a local who had the basque and SFH all mixed together in one brooder. what do you all think?
Blommehen.jpg
This is a mille fleur Swedish Flower Hen
Your's also appears to be a mille fleur SFH. The other bird in the frame appears to be a Basque. I'm curious if your Basque hen and the hen in question looked similar as chicks. I wouldn't buy chicks from someone who would mix them together in the brooder. Mistakes are made too easily. You could be breeding your SFH, building your flock, selling your stock, all under the impression that you have pure Basque's. Do you have any pictures of your Basque's next to this bird? How about some chick pictures? I'd really like to see them. I think it's important that we all learn to detect the differences so that we don't end up inadvertently mixing something into the SFH bloodlines (unless that's our intent for a special project). There's a pic of my mille fleur hen here: http://www.facebook.com/SwedishFlowerHens Of course, she's crested, but there are pics of other birds for you to compare body type with.

Last edited:
this is a pic of someone's hen on here that i copied and pasted, i hope you don't mind. but i have a "supposed basque hen" that looks exactly like this! i will put my hen at the bottom. she is 5 months old and is not laying yet. i got them from a local who had the basque and SFH all mixed together in one brooder. what do you all think?
Blommehen.jpg
I think the top hen is from Greenfire farms.
Yours does look very like a gorgeous mille fleur Swede. Are the legs yellow or green though?

To all of you hardened SFH owners, can anyone tell me the approximate number of eggs I can expect once my hens reach maturity. I understand they are prolific layers, even in winter, true?

To all of you hardened SFH owners, can anyone tell me the approximate number of eggs I can expect once my hens reach maturity. I understand they are prolific layers, even in winter, true?

Not exactly sure, but ours seem to lay more than any other chickens we have.
Eggs are not huge (not small either), but nor are the birds, and I believe they do lay through the winter, as last winter many of the limited available hatching eggs were SFH (and silkies).

Last edited:
I think the top hen is from Greenfire farms.
Yours does look very like a gorgeous mille fleur Swede. Are the legs yellow or green though?
my hen has green legs. she is about the size of a leghorn, very different than my basque girls which made me post this in the first place. i am on the basque thread and pic after pic, no one had a hen that looked like mine. i always thought she looked different from the rest and even at about 6 weeks commented that i thought i had a SFH in there, but just blew it off because a few others said there was a mille fleur pattern in the basque. but the other day, i saw a pic of a SFH and i saw my bird! the rest of my hens look very typical of the basque, she sticks out like a sore thumb. the lady did have the SFHs legbanded, but perhaps one fell off. i got them around 3 weeks old. they all looked the same. what color egg will she lay? and no, i won't breed her to the basque roos.

out of my 20 mailed sfh eggs I got 6 or maybe it was 7 that made it to lock down but only 2 hatched. I wish there was a way to sex them now. They dont look like the chicks from the picture I saw but IM shure thre is much variation.

Back
Top Bottom