Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hey all, I've read this thread on and off but not posted much. I saw some discussion a while back about breeding crested birds and possibly getting a vaulted skull bird. Have many of you had this happen? I have hatched eggs from 4 different breeders and have eggs from a 5th in the incubator. I have only had one chick hatch with a vaulted skull. I am just now separating my older birds into breeding pens and am wondering if you all are purposely breeding crested to non-crested? or do most of you have them mixed with crested to crested breeding. I'm just not sure how to separate them best and looking for advice.

Thanks!

Hi all,

My chickies are about 6 weeks old and I thought I would share a few pictures.

This is my little grey pullet (At least I hope it is a pullet). This is the only one I have this color. She is smoke grey with gold on her neck. She was a black and white chick.

Here is another little pullet(?) with interesting coloring. I think she was a grey chick with a brown head.

This is a little cockerel (?). I love the pattern of the coloring on his back. He was a grey chick with a brown head like the pullet above.

This is a little brown pullet. I have two more this color, but they have a lot more white on them. They were brown chicks.

Here is a little spotted one. Possible pullet. She was a blonde chick.

And another that is likely a cockerel. Also a blonde chick.

Thanks for taking a look. I do love these little guys so.

Something ate my 8 Swedish Flower chicks last night. Have never had any predators till now. They were just a week old. Something dug under the dog house and fence then pulled open the door i had attached. I didn't put the bolts through the eyes so I'm sure i made it easy. Well, 'm back down to 7 and really mad at myself. I got them as day old chicks from Greenfire I can't afford to replace them now. Just venting, thanks.

Oh nooooo......I'm SO sorry.......

Hey all, I've read this thread on and off but not posted much. I saw some discussion a while back about breeding crested birds and possibly getting a vaulted skull bird. Have many of you had this happen? I have hatched eggs from 4 different breeders and have eggs from a 5th in the incubator. I have only had one chick hatch with a vaulted skull. I am just now separating my older birds into breeding pens and am wondering if you all are purposely breeding crested to non-crested? or do most of you have them mixed with crested to crested breeding. I'm just not sure how to separate them best and looking for advice.

Thanks!

I am not breeding crested-to-crested, just in case.

Hi all,

My chickies are about 6 weeks old and I thought I would share a few pictures.

This is my little grey pullet (At least I hope it is a pullet). This is the only one I have this color. She is smoke grey with gold on her neck. She was a black and white chick.

Here is another little pullet(?) with interesting coloring. I think she was a grey chick with a brown head.

This is a little cockerel (?). I love the pattern of the coloring on his back. He was a grey chick with a brown head like the pullet above.

This is a little brown pullet. I have two more this color, but they have a lot more white on them. They were brown chicks.

Here is a little spotted one. Possible pullet. She was a blonde chick.

And another that is likely a cockerel. Also a blonde chick.

Thanks for taking a look. I do love these little guys so.
Gorgeous!!!! My last hatch I got 14 chicks and I think every one was different. It helps hearing wheat they started out as.

Cathiesue- so sorry!
sad.png

IT'S A BOY !!!!

About 3 weeks ago I posted some pictures of my 3 SFH's. I had thought they were girls but then was having 2nd thought on one of them.
Wish I had thought to take some pics but it is definite now. Yellow band is, for sure, a boy !!!!

I do have a breeding trio!

IT'S A BOY !!!!

About 3 weeks ago I posted some pictures of my 3 SFH's. I had thought they were girls but then was having 2nd thought on one of them.
Wish I had thought to take some pics but it is definite now. Yellow band is, for sure, a boy !!!!

I do have a breeding trio!

YAY!!

I grabbed three of these out of the bator tonight, as I was candling some local eggs before lockdown, and all three have moving embryos! I'm stoked and hope all make it though hatching!

salunra - congrats on your beautiful little ones. It's so amazing to watch the coloring develop.

sherrie t congrats on your trio, you're gonna have fun with them.

thanks for condolences. i'm going to have to work on SECURITY before i get any more babies or even eggs. i have an incubator but i haven't tried any eggs yet. Darn it! I'm just so mad at my self.

Still trying to bet the heat here in Sunny OK.

Back
Top Bottom