Sweet Baby Lavender

Apr 30, 2021
Rocky Mountains
Gosh I love my little lavender Orpingtons 😍. They’ve all got names, but I still can’t tell who’s who. I’m getting bands for them when they’re adult sized. We’ve got Plum, Twilight, and Lilac. 💜

Attachments

• DEF2C29D-80E8-4672-A77D-F81AEFCBB647.jpeg
    DEF2C29D-80E8-4672-A77D-F81AEFCBB647.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 9
Too cute! :lovePersonally I think that once you spend a lot of time with animals who look almost identical, you start to see the slightest differences on their bodies and their personalities become so evident that it's hard to get them confused! Of course I've never had chicks before😅 But with rabbits, chinchillas, tortoises etc. Within a few days you can figure out who's who! Maybe it's just me:idunno

Too cute! :lovePersonally I think that once you spend a lot of time with animals who look almost identical, you start to see the slightest differences on their bodies and their personalities become so evident that it's hard to get them confused! Of course I've never had chicks before😅 But with rabbits, chinchillas, tortoises etc. Within a few days you can figure out who's who! Maybe it's just me:idunno
I can see differences but I don’t remember who has what name 😂

I too love my little lavenders!! They’re so sweet and full of personality!! I only have two and you can even tell in the two pics that one is feathering light years ahead of the other. It’s been pretty easy to keep them straight 😆 sadly the slow featherer is 99% likely a cockerel (comb and wattles before half the feathers are in!). I’m hopeful he’s a late rising type...but it’s not likely given how mouthy he is already! 😍 I just love them! ❤️ Your baby is adorable!

Attachments

• 5E359A29-4EA6-43A7-80A4-8C8157667560.jpeg
    5E359A29-4EA6-43A7-80A4-8C8157667560.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1C66FAB1-6423-4651-AEA5-599BA6B3ED1A.jpeg
    1C66FAB1-6423-4651-AEA5-599BA6B3ED1A.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 4
I too love my little lavenders!! They’re so sweet and full of personality!! I only have two and you can even tell in the two pics that one is feathering light years ahead of the other. It’s been pretty easy to keep them straight 😆 sadly the slow featherer is 99% likely a cockerel (comb and wattles before half the feathers are in!). I’m hopeful he’s a late rising type...but it’s not likely given how mouthy he is already! 😍 I just love them! ❤️ Your baby is adorable!
How old are they?

How old are they?
The one in the first picture is the boy, and that picture was taken last week—so 5 weeks. The one I’m pretty certain is a pullet, is the second picture and that was taken when they were 2.5-3 weeks old. She’s almost fully feathered as of today at 6.5 weeks. I’ve read that lavender Orps are a bit slower to feather than others, but the boy is just crazy slow! My two Wyandottes are almost fully feathered too. So hopefully this is all true and that means you have pullets! :) The other thing to watch is the comb. They both had combs at the same time—maybe 3.5 weeks—but the boy’s comb grew faster and is bigger than my pullets comb, and he’s getting wattles and she still hasn’t gotten hers. They’re by far my more fun and personality-filled chicks. 😍

The one in the first picture is the boy, and that picture was taken last week—so 5 weeks. The one I’m pretty certain is a pullet, is the second picture and that was taken when they were 2.5-3 weeks old. She’s almost fully feathered as of today at 6.5 weeks. I’ve read that lavender Orps are a bit slower to feather than others, but the boy is just crazy slow! My two Wyandottes are almost fully feathered too. So hopefully this is all true and that means you have pullets! :) The other thing to watch is the comb. They both had combs at the same time—maybe 3.5 weeks—but the boy’s comb grew faster and is bigger than my pullets comb, and he’s getting wattles and she still hasn’t gotten hers. They’re by far my more fun and personality-filled chicks. 😍
I’ve noticed that they’ve been much slower than our Easter Eggers. They feathered up quickly. Our boy Easter Egger got his wings and tail the soonest, but was slower than the girls in getting fully feathered. They’re 6+ weeks right now and look like mini chickens. No fluff left. They’re even starting to sound like chickens vs peeping chicks. I hope all my lavenders are girls- I’ll be heartbroken if I have to give one of them away 💔

I’ve noticed that they’ve been much slower than our Easter Eggers. They feathered up quickly. Our boy Easter Egger got his wings and tail the soonest, but was slower than the girls in getting fully feathered. They’re 6+ weeks right now and look like mini chickens. No fluff left. They’re even starting to sound like chickens vs peeping chicks. I hope all my lavenders are girls- I’ll be heartbroken if I have to give one of them away 💔
Yeah, it’s terrible how long it takes! You get so attached to them and then can’t keep them :-( I hope they’re all girls too! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom