1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sweet feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kelliepulido, Sep 25, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Is it a crumble or a pellet?My pullets and cockrels won't eat the pellets.I am thinking of things to add to the starter crumbles to make it more pleasing they eat the scratch up lickety split,and any treats I bring down.Their favorite is oatmeal with molasses and toast mixed in,and yogurt.They love oats and the scratch mix.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sweet feed that I have seen is mostly pellets, with grain mixed in.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Had I offered it to them my chicks would have eaten scratch up lickity split too! It's best to keep starter in front of them at all times - are yours still young enough for starter/grower? and offer other foods in small amounts.
    I've yet to see an animal starve themselves to death if food was right in front of them.
    To answer your question, yes sweet feed comes in pellet form.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    As far as scratch grain goes, I read on this site somewhere not to feed it to them in the summer, it makes them hotter...Of course, most of us need not worry about this now, but a little FYI.

5. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't recommend you feed any chickens sweet feed as the molasses works as a natural laxative, and will give them a bad case of the runny poo's.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

sO GIVE IT TO THEM WHEN THEY ARE CONSTIPATED....LOL:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by