Sweet heater Question

Renee97038

Songster
8 Years
Jan 11, 2014
West Coaster
First time using my sweet heater brooder heater. I'm not sure how low it should be? The directions say not to have it closer than 6" from combustibles. Is that going to be warm enough? I have an inch or so of pine shavings underneath it.

First time using my sweet heater brooder heater. I'm not sure how low it should be? The directions say not to have it closer than 6" from combustibles. Is that going to be warm enough? I have an inch or so of pine shavings underneath it.
sorry you have not received a response, did you get some help??
how old are your chicks

I used my own judgement and had the sweet heater about 6" from the bedding at first then each week I raised it an inch or so. Now, they are 5 weeks old. What a joy it was not worrying about a heat lamp. I am sold on the sweet heater now.

Do you have trouble with it smelling? I got one for my chicks when they were a couple of weeks old and ran it continuously for over a week outside to burn off the smell, but it still smells - just close up, but that's where the chicks would be. I have it lying out exposed to the hot sun all fay long now, hoping the smell will eventually go away, but I fear it never will. We use low VOC paint and furniture etc...; I am not ready to have this thing offgassing in my home and on my chicks. Bummer! Is yours better? Maybe I just got a stinky lemon?

I didn't notice a smell. But mine is in an outside coop about 8 X 6'. I ran it for a few days for a couple weeks off and on before the chicks came. Mine might have smelled at first but I didn't stick my nose up close to it, probably should have. I will go to the coop now and smell it closely and let you know how it smells after running it for a few weeks. I think if you run it longer outdoors before using it the smell will be gone.

Ok, I smelled mine up close and no smell at all. It has been on for 5 weeks though. I wouldn't want it in my house at first. The directions clearly warn us that it will smell at first.

Ok, I smelled mine up close and no smell at all. It has been on for 5 weeks though. I wouldn't want it in my house at first. The directions clearly warn us that it will smell at first.

Thank you for checking!

Yes, I read the directions- that's why I left it outside to run for about ten days... It says run it for a day or so? I can't remember, definitely not for as long as I did. I gave up eventually because I had started using ceramic heat emitters in the meantime which worked fine for us and were not smelly... Anyway, good to know that after five weeks the smell might be gone. If I get chicks again I will hook it up a few weeks early outside again and hopefully that'll do the trick!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom