Sweet PDZ in run?

Love My Chickies

Songster
May 24, 2021
Texas City, TX
I've read that a lot of people put PDZ in their coops. Is it also good for dirt runs? Does it have to be scooped or can it just left alone? Also, is regular horse PDZ safe for chickens or do I need the PDZ Coop Care? Thanks for any clarification you can give!

I've read that a lot of people put PDZ in their coops. Is it also good for dirt runs? Does it have to be scooped or can it just left alone? Also, is regular horse PDZ safe for chickens or do I need the PDZ Coop Care? Thanks for any clarification you can give!
Regular PDX is fine. I use the powder under the roosting bars and scoop, but I don't think it's obligatory.

If it's completely secure from rain it might be okay if not rather expensive for a large area. I use PDZ granules in both coops under the roost only. I use pine chips on the floor. I put straw in the run and they love to dig in it.
poop-tray-05.jpg

JT

Sweet PDZ Horse stall refresher is what you want. PDZ coop care is the same thing, just packaged differently and more expensive.

How big is your run, do you have a picture?

It would be better to put wood chips over the dirt run, if it's starting to smell. The poop will dry up, break down and mix in. Your run should not smell bad then. You will need to add more if your run starts to smell. Putting PDZ over the dirt by itself won't help.

Sweet PDZ Horse stall refresher is what you want. PDZ coop care is the same thing, just packaged differently and more expensive.

How big is your run, do you have a picture?

It would be better to put wood chips over the dirt run, if it's starting to smell. The poop will dry up, break down and mix in. Your run should not smell bad then. You will need to add more if your run starts to smell. Putting PDZ over the dirt by itself won't help.
It's 16x6, but gets rained on.
IMG_20210722_161254771.jpg
IMG_20210718_111817657.jpg

Wood chips will work good in there. Get tree trimming chips or natural mulch. You can also add your pine needles to the mix, along with some yard/garden waste. This also will give the chickens something to scratch in and dust bath in.
Forgot to add, it will be fine that it gets rained on. just like a mulched flower bed.

This is my old run.
20171126_121131.jpg

The new run doesn't have as much stuff in in yet, but it will in time.
coop24.jpg

I use the PDZ stall refresher in both my coop and run. I recently built a new raised coop, and PDZ works nicely because it's very light weight and keeps everything smelling fresh all week long without scooping. I just sift out the dried poop on the weekend and it never smells at all. In my covered sand-based run, I mix a few bags of PDZ in with the sand every month or so. It helps keep the sand fresh and prevents compacting. I find it very easy to scoop and rake, using a small bush rake and giant wok strainer. I rake the poop daily into the wok strainer, give it a quick shake and then dump. Light, quick and easy-- takes 5 min morning and night. Another advantage is that the girls also love to dust bathe in the sand/PDZ mix, so there is no need to keep a separate dust bath. They just pick a spot and start digging-- saves space and prevents squabbles.

I use the PDZ stall refresher in both my coop and run. I recently built a new raised coop, and PDZ works nicely because it's very light weight and keeps everything smelling fresh all week long without scooping. I just sift out the dried poop on the weekend and it never smells at all. In my covered sand-based run, I mix a few bags of PDZ in with the sand every month or so. It helps keep the sand fresh and prevents compacting. I find it very easy to scoop and rake, using a small bush rake and giant wok strainer. I rake the poop daily into the wok strainer, give it a quick shake and then dump. Light, quick and easy-- takes 5 min morning and night. Another advantage is that the girls also love to dust bathe in the sand/PDZ mix, so there is no need to keep a separate dust bath. They just pick a spot and start digging-- saves space and prevents squabbles.
Do you live in a warm climate hence the sand?

No, I live up North, in Rochester, NY. I just prefer to use sand, since my run is covered and dry and I am a bit compulsive about keeping the ground poop free. Scooping multiple times a day with a long handled sifter while I visit my girls is no trouble for me:)

Back
Top Bottom